Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92' tracker won't start

kwextrm
10-21-2007, 04:28 PM
I was driving my tracker, the idle shot up and then down and died. Now it won't start. I seem to be getting fuel, pump turns on and ther is fuel in the lines. If I poor gas into the throtle body it does start but it will not run for more than a sec. or two. Is my ECM bad? Please help.

coopdavillage
10-21-2007, 08:03 PM
when you get it to start up how does it run?

have you tried checking the timing? and the firing system (plugs, wires, cap & rotor)? maybe something went bad.

if that doesnt work try checking your fuel injection system, might be clogged or have a problem, including the fuel filter.

good luck

kwextrm
10-23-2007, 09:52 PM
I tried somethings that i read. I made a jump wire from the injector to the battery and it starts right up, as soon as i pull the wire it stops. So its not recieving power. Does this come from the ecm or somewhere else? Thanks for the response.

coopdavillage
10-24-2007, 05:45 PM
sounds like a it might be a loose or corroded wire but might also be a relay or fuse. i would check all of the connections and make sure there are no loose wires. what it sounds like is there is a wire that provides groundind to the injectors and its causeing a short allowing it to not work. other than that i cant think of anything else it could be.
good luck and hope it helps.

Jcashrulz
12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
The problem is your computer. I had the same issue a few years back and jumped a wire from the black wire on the distributor to the red wire on the throttle body, this bypass's the computer and works fine without affecting gas milage. I now have a different issue with my EGR system the relay clicks constantly and the car wont start I believe the ECM finally went all the way out.

olstyl1972
01-05-2008, 02:45 PM
I have a 91 tracker that did the exact same thing. Turned out the ecm had a problem. (the ecms are made by mitsubishi and allways go bad eventually. a problem they later fixed) I found a guy on ebay that fixed mine, cost 70 bucks and came with a warranty. took out the ecm sent it to him got it back in about 10 days put it in and the car fired right up and i have not had a problem since and that was almost 3 years ago.

here is a link to his ebay page

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-94-GEO-TRACKER-SIDEKICK-ECM-ECU-COMPUTER-REPAIR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33596QQihZ018QQi temZ280189728262QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

happy motoring

Add your comment to this topic!