Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Leaking?

SlackerOfSociety
10-21-2007, 09:32 AM
First off, I just bought this car a week ago. I noticed the other day that my 97 concorde was leaking. I rubbed my finger in the liguid and it was oderless and clear, like water. If you look under the drivers side rear tire, you will see two exhaust pipes, which lead to a metal box that has groves on the bottom (what is that box? Catalac converter?....). Any way, there were two drips coming from the bottom off the box.... is this just condensation? Or a bad head gasket? Please excuse my ignorance about the parts on the car..... I am not that mechanically inclined...:banghead: Please any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dcx96
10-21-2007, 08:23 PM
NEED MORE INFO, ARE YOU RUNNING AC WHEN NOTICING LEAKS? WHEN DO YOU NOTICE LEAKS? AND BY GOING OFF WHAT YOU POSTED i'D SAY YA JUST CONDENSATION AND NOTHING OF A WORRY.

AWP9521
10-22-2007, 11:41 PM
That large ribbed metal box is actually your muffler, there are "weep holes" in them to drain any accumulated condensation out of the muffler to keep them from rotting out, perfectly normal. Both systems with the 3.3 and 3.5 engines had the same muffler, the only difference is the 3.5 has a resonator that looks like a normal muffler behind the back bumper with 2 outlets, the 3.3 just has a normal tailpipe with no resonator.

SlackerOfSociety
10-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks AWP9521! Very good info! I am glad this is normal, because it just feels like everytime I buy a used car, that small problems will develope...

That large ribbed metal box is actually your muffler, there are "weep holes" in them to drain any accumulated condensation out of the muffler to keep them from rotting out, perfectly normal. Both systems with the 3.3 and 3.5 engines had the same muffler, the only difference is the 3.5 has a resonator that looks like a normal muffler behind the back bumper with 2 outlets, the 3.3 just has a normal tailpipe with no resonator.

Add your comment to this topic!