2000 Mustang won't start

P_lynn68
10-20-2007, 09:19 AM
My mustang will turn over, but it won't start. It sat for about two months with only being driven maybe 5 times. After driving it again, it was fine for about 3 days, and then acted like it was having a hard time starting. My son drove it and when he got to his destination and tried to leave again, it wouldn't start. I went out there 20 minutes later and it started. But then after sitting about 2 hours, it wouldn't start at all and hasn't since. My husband checked the fuses and one was bad so he replaced that, but still no starting. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Turbokid15
10-20-2007, 09:48 AM
I take it is a 4.6? or is it a 3.8. If it is a 4.6 I would say check the fuel pump shut off switch in the trunk on the driverside. If not that take off the EGR and clean the little hole out in the intake. Then the last thing I would say is take off the I.A.C and clean it. Use carberautor cleaner for both.http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/Xmodkid5321/untitled.jpg

P_lynn68
10-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Its a 3.8. How do you tell about the cut off switch? It is pushed in as far as it will go. Is there a way to reset it? Should I still try to clean the parts you suggested? We don't have an owners manual. What about the distributer...could that have anything to do with it?

Turbokid15
10-20-2007, 01:46 PM
I take it you have the motor shown at bottom. Okay if the switch is pushed all the way in then it is good. I would still suggest cleaning the parts. If you want to check for spark pull out the fuel pump fuse. Then pull any wire and place it against the coil pack. Attempt to start the car. just crank it and have somebody see if it sparking. Next I would suggest taking out the MAF and cleaning the tip with alcohol. Be extremly careful it breaks easily. To take it out use a T-20 tamper proof bit. I would also say check the cam position sensor. usually located in head next to the cam.http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/Xmodkid5321/dpfe3.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!