Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turboing a KL-ZE

DSM Monster
10-19-2007, 08:20 PM
alright so my buddy has a 93 probe gt. well he blew the motor so he bought a kl ze motor and im trying to get some info about it. he wants to turbo the motor so i guess what i need to know is if the stock motor can hold boost and if so how much? how are the internals on these motors. i already found out the comp ratio is 10.1 and im not trilled about that but maybe we could lower that with some internal work.

so i guess what i need to know is if anyone has some words of wisdoms about this project, or links or anything that would really help. im a mitsu guy and i know my turbo cars and my motors but i dont know ahold lot about the mazda motor that he bought. so thanks ahead of time for any help you guys and girls could offer.

RigsPGT
02-12-2008, 02:54 AM
Probetalk.com is your answer :) A KLZE will take a beating until 10psi or 12psi tunned but thats risking it. If you go to those forums, you'll se pics of bent rods from ZEs and high boost.

got celica?
02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
The KLZE is a great motor, but it's not exactly the most durable motor I've come across. If you're going to try boost, I wouldn't go above 6 or 7 psi with stock internals. A good tune is critical to go any higher, along with the highest octane gas you can find, perfect timing, etc. Currently, I'm working on one where, amongst other things, we have dropped the cr to 8.5:1 in hopes of being able to get running around 14 to 16 psi. Your best bet is to just do a full rebuild. We've already blown two engines doing otherwise. The first one dropped a valve, and the second one essentially threw a rod. Check out http://importperformanceparts.net/ and click mazda on the column on the left. If you look carefully, you'll find they have just about everything you need engine part wise. Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!