Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tensior pulley assembly

lj5769
10-19-2007, 12:55 PM
1998 cavalier (2.2 with a/c) replacing tensioner assembly pulley. I read a post same EXACT issues im having no clearance to remove mounting bolt. Loosened until touching frame bolt must be hanging there by three or four threads. Any suggetions? No responses to other members post - he ended up cutting the bolt!

mikec041
10-19-2007, 09:27 PM
1998 cavalier (2.2 with a/c) replacing tensioner assembly pulley. I read a post same EXACT issues im having no clearance to remove mounting bolt. Loosened until touching frame bolt must be hanging there by three or four threads. Any suggetions? No responses to other members post - he ended up cutting the bolt!

Might try lifting engine a bit so bolt clears frame. Support engine with a jack, remove motor mount bolts and then jack the engine up until the bolt clears the frame.

lj5769
10-20-2007, 11:32 AM
O.k. Thanks.

lj5769
10-21-2007, 08:35 PM
This may be beneficial to any other girl trying to do this w/o experience or a manual to refer to:
*VERY IMPORTANT - Is the belt diagram still on the inside of your hood? If not DRAW DIAGRAM BEFORE YOU START you have to get the new belt on right!
IF you don't know where to place jack or jack stands - get help!! or bring it in for service!
disconnect neg battery cable (8mm socket) remove tire and splash guard (7mm socket)
place jack stand, remove jack place jack to support engine (use a 2x4 w/jack) remove four 15mm bolts from top motor mount
SLOWLY lower engine until mounting bolt on tensioner is viewable - direct access about 2-3". You have to clear the frame or you will not have enough clearance to remove the bolt! I know it happened to me! You may remove the belt at this point (I removed mine before I started removing any bolts) Using a breaker bar place the end (w/o a socket) in the tension release, lift the belt off the alternator pulley.
remove mounting bolt from tensioner assembly I had to use an open end wrench 15mm, again clearance issue, space is very limited. remove assembly and bolt Replace assembly and belt (chart on inside of hood-very helpful)
SLOWLY raise engine make sure you are lining up. I had to adjust the jack while removing bolt so I had to do the same to line engine back up. Put her back together.
I started her up and still heard that dreaded noise, I had to change the idler pulley!! That was a piece of cake! It was a pain in my ass but fun! Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!