Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hooking up AUX input to stock Delco on my 94 Camaro

randizzle
10-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Hey guys I'm trying to use the AUX input wires from the port on the back side of my Stock radio to hook up my Ipod. That port usually goes to the cassette deck, but mine was not equipped with, so I was going to use it to try and hook up my Ipod. Has anyone done this before? Any help would be great.

ryan

izzydjinn
10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
hmmmm, yeah, i guess, if your stock radio has RCAs on the back of it you might. But I dont think your SR can switch to AUX input, I believe those RCAs are to hook up an AMP.

randizzle
10-20-2007, 06:39 PM
No my car doesn't have the rca hook-ups. I want to wire up some female rca jacks into my aux function on my stock head unit. I read somewhere that you have to fool the head unit into thinking that the cassette player is hooked up, using relays and things of that nature, then tap into the audio wires. Thats what I want to do. I'm just not sure how to fool the head unit. Anyone even know what I'm talking about?

Ryan

izzydjinn
10-21-2007, 11:19 AM
oh, ok I see what you are saying...... ok, how come you just dont buy an adapter like the one you use to play CDs on a cassette deck.... but instead of a CD player you hook up an Ipod, an avoid the cutting and rewiring and all.

randizzle
10-21-2007, 01:41 PM
I dont have the cassette deck in my car. I just have the open port in the back of the stock radio where the cassette player would go. I want to tap into that port and play my ipod with it. I know I could buy an adapter to transmit through my radio. I just have a lot of time on my hands, being at college, and I figured I would mess around with it. Cuz I really like the stock looking radio in my maro. I just want the functionality of my old sony, with the aux input in the back.

stepho
10-21-2007, 03:16 PM
I dont have the cassette deck in my car. I just have the open port in the back of the stock radio where the cassette player would go. I want to tap into that port and play my ipod with it. I know I could buy an adapter to transmit through my radio. I just have a lot of time on my hands, being at college, and I figured I would mess around with it. Cuz I really like the stock looking radio in my maro. I just want the functionality of my old sony, with the aux input in the back.

I dont see why you wouldn't just be able to connect some RCA adapters to the wires that would normally go to the cassette player. Normally radios can't tell the difference between one input device and another.

I dont know much about the stock audio set up... when I bought my z everything was stolen except for the head unit which had the security lock on it... so I just swapped out the entire audio system.

blindeyed
10-23-2007, 01:31 AM
This sort of device is probably going to be your best bet man:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piegm9aux.html

Add your comment to this topic!