Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Where do I start with a 67 Lemans Restoration

Kallwood
10-18-2007, 02:27 PM
I was given a convertable 67 Lemans. It runs sometimes and the exterior needs help. I am not sure where to start, on the exterior or enginine. I literally know nothing, but would love to try - the car has sentimental value. Does any one have any advise, I live in orange County California and and do not have a lot of extra money - but will spend it if it would be worth it in the long run. Please Help!!!!

'97ventureowner
11-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I would start on the engine issues first. Once you get the engine running better , you can turn your attention to the body and interior. See if there are any clubs in your area that deal with LeMans. They can be a good source for info on these vehicles. You also might want to get a copy of Hemmings Motor News, which has both private sale and commercial ads for parts and services all around the country that deal in the restoration of classic vehicles. There are also other companies that deal in resto parts for these cars, and ads for them can be found in the back of hobbyist magazines like Car Craft, Hot Rod, etc.

428sjgary
01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
There are a bunch of Pontiac clubs in your area, So Cal gathering of Goats, Pontiac Drag Days are just 2 of them! These guys and gals are all super people and alot of them have cars and parts for sale or swap and are very knowledgeable and helpful! You definitely want to get all the mechanical issues sorted out first and make it safe to drive!

Blue Bowtie
01-19-2008, 10:51 AM
You'll want to be very careful about any body work on it. If memory serves me, the rear corners are actually die cast zinc, and not steel. They are nearly impossible to find, so be very careful about any heating, welding, grinding in those areas, or unbolting skins or parts from them. The front corner extensions may be the same (can't really remember), so check into it before getting too aggressive.

The rear deck lid extension lips are prone to holding moisture and rusting, so be careful about removing any trim and handling that area.

If it's a V-8, the car should have had either a 326 or 389 from the factory. There is a possibility that it has the OHC inline 6, which is pretty unique. The aftermarket still supports the 389s to some extent, but 1967 was the last year for the 326, and 326 specific parts are getting rare, just like for the OHC 6.

A convertible should be well worth the investment, so long as the car is mostly intact.

Add your comment to this topic!