Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking to buy...What to look for

spinn360
10-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Hi I am looking at a 92 Olds Bravada with 177K I am wondering what should I look at before purchasing the car. Is there anything that goes out normaly that I should check? Any info would be appreaciated thanks

Chris Stewart
10-17-2007, 06:42 PM
The motor should start easily and you should be able to feel the transmission shift through the gears.
My esteemed Olds Bravada fellow Eric will likely share his very good advice shortly.

ericn1300
10-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Actually I was waiting for Chris to pipe up first so I could get off easy, but he didn't seem to have a lot to say.

The power train, i.e. engine, trany, transfer case, differentials, are usualy in good shape at that mileage if they've been properly maintained. Check for leaks and ask for maintenance records.

Also find out if the heater core has been changed yet. Not a really tough DIY project and only about $40 if your mechanicaly inclined, but upwards of $800 if you take it to the dealer and overdue if it hasn't been changed yet

The steering and suspension will be shot unless its already been gone thru. Idler arm, tie rod ends, ball joints and sway bar bushings. There are 11 lube points on the front end that the "quickie lube" guys seem to have never heard of. When I bought my wifes at about the same mileage it still had the factory shocks so watch for that too.

The fuel pumps are a problem too, never let the tank go much below 1/4 full as the fuel is the coolant for the pump.

Since buying her's at about the same mileage i figure we spend about $250 to $300 a year on repairs, most of which I do myself, which is less than one month payment on a new SUV and she loves it. Never left us stranded so far and I take every chance I get my hands on it and take it off road and beat the sh** out it.

spinn360
10-18-2007, 02:02 AM
Thank you guys I hope that the shocks have already been replaced since it has 177K so I would think they would and I will ask if they have maintenance records. Thanks again

So from what I am hearing usually the drive train and motors in these vehicles are pretty good if well maintaned.

Well I hope so I bought another car a few years back and had to rebuild the front diff due to the ring and pinion gears breaking. I was still making payments on it while it sat in my garage for 3 months. Ouch that was a painful memory. Oh well learn from your mistakes I hope.

Chris Stewart
10-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Eric is a very good source of Bravada info, most of it first hand knowledge.
Everybody has some tricks for heading off potential trouble on a used car purchase. Everybody does oil changes, my #1 thing to do is a transmission fluid & filter change to keep the good shifts.
Fluid checks to the differentials (as you well know) and transfer case should be done while the transmission fluid is draining.
Factory Service Manuals are frequently found on eBay at very reasonable prices....they are priceless for keeping up your Bravada.

spinn360
10-21-2007, 02:52 AM
Hey thanks you guys Hey while I'm on here I did a search and found a way to program the keyless remote for a 96? I think and I was wondering if its the same on a 92? hold up the unlock switch key on key off key on key off locks lock and unlock, program remote??? anyways I thought that you might know I think someone asked on the link if it would work but there was no reply. The lady selling the Bravada said the remote stopped working on hers.

spinn360
10-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Well I bought it it was very well maintaned and the heater core and shocks and brakes were all replaced within the last year as well as normal maintenance thru out the last 11 years that the couple owned the vehicle. I love this car and thanks for the info Chris

Chris Stewart
10-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Now the most important question, what color is it?
Bravada's are like cats, swift & sure of feet and love to be rubbed...only they prefer wax. I like Mcguires Cleaner Wax once a year and Mcguires Tech Wax the rest of the year.

tlane276
10-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Now the most important question, what color is it?
Bravada's are like cats, swift & sure of feet and love to be rubbed...only they prefer wax. I like Mcguires Cleaner Wax once a year and Mcguires Tech Wax the rest of the year.
True. I wash and wax mine every week or 2 and it shines so pretty. Too many people dont know the difference a good wax job can make.

Add your comment to this topic!