Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Where do you buy metal for machining? (for FAQ)

MPWR
10-16-2007, 08:39 AM
So where do you find your stock? Or plastic?

It seems like one of those never ending quests for many hobby machinists. Many industrial suppliers simply won't bother with selling 'short lengths' of metal. So it often takes some creativity to find material for your next project.

If you have any favorite sources, please list them!!

-In the US, Home Depot usually has a section where they have a limited selection of stock, including aluminum rod up to 1/2" and some thin flat bar stock. But as many of the parts I make are small, this meets alot of my needs. Probably 60% of what I make starts as 1/4" aluminum rod.

-MetalExpress (http://www.metalexpress.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?mod=core&ac=acHome&sid=9f6466bc3f1d97da7b4141882f195fdb) will cut metal to the inch and mail it. They have a rather good selection, but they charge a 'one time' cutting fee for internet orders- so it's worth putting together a largeish order. I've ordered from them and had good experiences.

freakray
10-16-2007, 08:45 AM
My local HobbyTown USA carries the full range of K&N sizes and profiles.

gionc
10-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Well speaking for Europe the Brico stores has a rod section: you'll find tubes or rods starting from 2mm diam up to 10-12 mm diam, also some bars and "L" or "H" extruded profiles. Brass or Alu.

I bought 30mm diam alu from a pro supplier: he's more than happy to sell to me a 3mtrs (approx 35 eur) long "rod" and mostly "cash ;)", I bought also a 16mmx3000mm rod. Bigger diam are quite expencive (if you buy a whole 3 or 6 mtrs rod) and you'll find a lot of wastes for free in a friend's metal workshop. I know several guys running a metal factory but hadn't the time yet to begging alloy ;) :D

I take any year brass hex rods at Milan's Hobby&Model show from an hardstore-vendor , from 1mm up to 4mm "diam"

mike@af
10-16-2007, 10:28 AM
www.onlinemetals.com (http://www.onlinemetals.com) is my source. They have great prices, low shipping costs, and I can by a little or a lot.

mikemechanic
10-16-2007, 06:37 PM
I go to http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/ They have a location here so I go there and pick up whatever I need.

Mike

Murray Kish
10-16-2007, 07:16 PM
I was recently in Ottawa and went to the Lee Valley store there. To my surprise, they had both steel and brass round bar in various diameters up to about 3/8". All lenghts were about a foot long. One of their manufacturing facilities is on the same property there in Ottawa, so I suspect that these were just extra lengths left over from the shop. They didn't have partnumbers or anything, just bins and cheap prices (like 20 cents per bar).

No idea if they have it at my local Lee Valley, but it's worth asking....

Murray

p9o1r1sche
10-19-2007, 07:46 AM
I buy from On-line Metals, but would like to find other sources also. A source of 1/8" size rods would be nice. Starting with 1/4" rod to make a 1/16" diam part is quite a waste.

cinqster
10-19-2007, 11:21 AM
A source of 1/8" size rods would be nice. Starting with 1/4" rod to make a 1/16" diam part is quite a waste.

Someone suggested to me to use alluminium MIG welding rods which are available in 1/8". Not used any to date though. Anyone tried it yet?

Add your comment to this topic!