Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

timing belt constantly breaks

merrytri
10-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi , need help alot of help. I have a 1991 jetta diesel. The problem is my timing belt break constantly. It broke about 7 times in the past 2 years. every time i take it to the shop I tell them that it constantly breaks and to check the pully's out just in case i need new ones. They say that it is not the pully and that they fixed the problem where it shouldn't break anymore. but it always does. I was looking at the pully's today because it start squealing again. I noticed that the pully's are too close to the belt and was wondering if there should be a washer in between the two pully's. The belt is burning out.

Please i am not saying these are the problems this is just what i noticed. is there any advice on what the problem might be. I just want my belt to stop burning out. I don't know what the problem is for the most part..... so any help will be appreciated. thank you

Doug Tatham
10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I'd take it to a different shop. If you tighten the tensioner pulley in the wrong direction it gets tight, but it rubs. This sounds like it may be the cause of your squealing.

Add your comment to this topic!