Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Freeze Plugs

drichar056
10-13-2007, 12:19 PM
My daughter decided to drive our 96 rodeo 3.2L V6 through the garage wall into the kitchen. This resulted in the replacement of several parts, one of which is a new radiator. Since replacing the radiator we are still having major antifreeze leaks. The hoses and the connections are dry. I thought it was the water pump but the coolant leak appears to be located on the bottom of the engine near the front of the oil plan. There is no coolant dripping from the bottom of the water pump area.

This makes me think it is not a water pump. I have been told a possibility is a freeze plug but to be honest I cant find them nor can I find anything on the internet that tells me how to find them.

My questions are...
Could the freeze plugs be the culprit?
Where are they on the engine and how difficult are they to replace?

Thanks

pharm_rodeo
10-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Refer to the thread below. It might help you out.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=755751

boritz
10-13-2007, 06:46 PM
...the coolant leak appears to be located on the bottom of the engine near the front of the oil plan. There is no coolant dripping from the bottom of the water pump area...

Is it possible that you are confusing the radiator fan pulley with the water pump?

The water pump is mounted internally, behind the timing belt covers, and a leak from it would exit at the bottom of the lower cover "near the front of the oil pan" as you describe.

Just a thought. :)

Cat Fuzz
10-13-2007, 08:59 PM
What he said ^^^^^^

The thing the fan is mounted to is simply a bearing. The water pump is driven by the timing belt and can't be seen unless you take some stuff apart.

Add your comment to this topic!