Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

speedometer doesn't work when cold

drivingat0
10-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I have to say my car runs great; it's just the electrical issues that seem to be a problem. Before it was the brake light & clock & radio that turned out to be a loose screw in the back of the car. This time it is the speedometer that doesn't work on cold mornings, until the car warms up (about 4 miles). What could the cause be? Contrastingly, in warm weather, the radio/cassette/CD player doesn't work in hot weather. Usually, the first to start working in the CD then the cass, then the radio. Lately, I only get scratching sounds from any. My husband says it is the amplifier. Is there a way to fix this?

mrbisme33
10-16-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm assuming you have the HUD. I just repaired this problem on my car. Typically, this is a bad capacitor located on the circuit board directly behind the speedometer. I changed mine earlier today and it corrected the intermittence of the speedometer.

If you are having a problem with the speedo not working until the car warms up, I have to ask if the speedometer reads zero when the car is stopped. Mine reads about 5 mph at a stop and continues rolling the odometer, but that's another fix another day. Let me know if you have the HUD and I can walk you through repairs or direct you to a replacement speedometer head.

-John

drivingat0
10-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't know what an HUD is. I have a regular 4 door '93 Altima. When it is cold, it reads 0, then as it warms the speedometer starts to shiver then it kicks in. At that intermediate point, it does jump all over at the stops.

Add your comment to this topic!