Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Eeek! Friend hit 5,500 rpm's...anything to

Ramblin Fever
10-12-2007, 07:39 PM
worry about, seriously??

Truck currently has 177,777 miles.

Truck runs excellent, has Rotella synthetic 5w-40 in her, and has always had the opportunity to run through the 3-4,500 rpm range, but I have only once EVER hit 5,000 rpm's..

My friend drove it home, while I drove the company vehicle. He left the cruise control on on a steep incline, says it jumped to 5,500 and immediately within 2-3 seconds shut off the cruise which dropped the rpm's to 3k. I think he knew I'd kill him :cwm27: if he knew I could hear that engine screaming!

Anyone think there's anything to worry about? I've never liked getting even remotely close to redline on a vehicle, in which this one is 6k rpm's.

Drove truck another 50 miles, still runs just as good as always....just leary, I guess, of blowing the head and/or a bearing.

BTW - it's REAL nice to follow a 10yr old, nearing 200k mile vehicle and see absolutely NOTHING coming out of the tailpipe; damn truck looks sharp and crisp, still has the looks of newer suv's beat, if I must say so myself.

But, I think that way about every Rodeo/Trooper I see, as long as they're still in superb condition.

FL 3.2L
10-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Good to shake a little carbon off the valves!

Ramblin Fever
10-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Beginning to wonder that myself, seriously.

Took her out for dinner and came home the longer way, she FLEW up the same hill it tends to struggle a little bit on when there's quite a load in the back.

Nice thing now....we've finally been given a company vehicle again, so the Rodeo will taper down dramatically in mileage. I've been averaging close to 500 miles weekly for the last 4 weeks; now hopefully it'll taper to maybe 500/month, as I'll most likely still drive it 2 days out of 7. Don't want seals/gaskets drying up from non-movement, we're finding that's a big issue on the diesel, as it rarely gets drove.

Add your comment to this topic!