Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Diesel conversion for 94 3.0?

solarone
10-12-2007, 12:05 PM
This is a long shot, but has anyone out there done, or even heard of, converting a 3.0 gas engine to a 2.5 Diesel in the U.S.? I've done this in the past with older Land Rovers, which was very easy and straight forward, but the Montero seems a bit more complex.

Any comments on the advisability of this undertaking, or should I be looking to find a properly built Diesel Montero instead?

Thanks!

off-roader
10-12-2007, 06:00 PM
This is a long shot, but has anyone out there done, or even heard of, converting a 3.0 gas engine to a 2.5 Diesel in the U.S.? I've done this in the past with older Land Rovers, which was very easy and straight forward, but the Montero seems a bit more complex.

Any comments on the advisability of this undertaking, or should I be looking to find a properly built Diesel Montero instead?

Thanks!

Montero's were never sold with Diesel Engines in N.America but they are everywhere else. You may be able to import one from Canada. There's a thriving market there where people import them in from Japan. You'd have to find a way to legally bring it into your state from Canada.

Also, since their diesel engines where never sold here you would have a really hard time when it came time to perform maintenance or repairs.

solarone
10-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Canada, eh?
OK, I have seen the Pajero Diesels all over Central America (same car), but didn't know about them being in Canada. Maybe I need to check with a gray market importer and see if it's possible, but the parts availability is definately an issue. It's hard enough getting parts as it is where I live, thanks to both dealers in central California going out of business recently. Perhaps this is the proverbial writing on the wall I should pay attention to.

off-roader
10-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Canada, eh?
OK, I have seen the Pajero Diesels all over Central America (same car), but didn't know about them being in Canada. Maybe I need to check with a gray market importer and see if it's possible, but the parts availability is definately an issue. It's hard enough getting parts as it is where I live, thanks to both dealers in central California going out of business recently. Perhaps this is the proverbial writing on the wall I should pay attention to.

If you're in california then you'll NEVER get it registered.

There are lots of used parts options.
msrecycling.com
car-part.com

Where exactly are you located. I'm in Santa Clara (Bay Area) myself.

I know other Montero owners all around the state.

solarone
10-13-2007, 01:22 PM
San Luis Obispo County, but I travel through the bay area every week.

Yeah, seems like all the really cool vehicles are trapped in Canada, including a bunch of Diesel 4X4's in van format. Wow! From what I've seen on Canadian sites, there are several Japanese companies exporting pretty damn nice vehicles with pretty damn low mileage to Canada, but all are RHD, and none can be brought across the border. Poop.

My Mitsu has about 145 k on it and still works well, but I put on the miles fast in my line of work. I might as well also add that ever since I bought this car (with 60 k on it) there has been a minor shudder at a certain low speed when starting from a stop (auto trans), and there has also been a whining, complaining noise coming from the rear dif at higher speeds when you ease off on the gas, or begin to apply the gas. The same thing was true for my 1st series 1990 Montero, so I wonder if this is some kind of common problem? It sounds like the ring and pinion are worn, but this is a limited slip rear end.

speedbling
11-01-2007, 09:46 AM
hi guys i have the same truck and have also wondered about this for the better gas mileage and more tow capacity some said they are avalible in canada how hard would it be to just buy one and bring it to the states (i live in alabama no emission test) also i am trying to find some parts like rear locker and ring and pinion sets for lower gear ratios this sad 3.0 doesnt like to turn my 35" tiresgears would help and so would any help you can give thanks

Add your comment to this topic!