Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My '98 Jimmy's found all it's gears again!!!

DaVeMoE
10-11-2007, 04:28 PM
I just replaced the ignition switch on my '98 4x4, and it fixed my "3rd gear limp" problems!!:)
Thanks to a previous post's responses,and a scan of the trans. trouble codes, I was confident that the switch was my problem.
I followed the advice posted in the "technical/how-to" section which was very helpful !! But I will say that the job was made ALOT easier by my decision to remove the steering wheel(along with the air bag). This very short job saved me from having to fight the cramped space to get the rest of the job done. I also did not have to cut the upper cover as I decided to (very easily) remove the key tumbler from the cylinder.
All said and done the job took approx. 2.5-3 hours (I was not in a hurry) When I was done I took it for a test drive and I had all of my gears back !!:lol2:

As a general clarification about the "white plastic piece needing to be in front of the switch and not behind" it is referring to the white cylinder shaped piece of plastic that mounts also to the top portion of the column, it is VERY easy to mount the switch with this piece's mounting tab under the tab for the switch. DO NOT let this happen (like was posted elsewhere), you must pull this piece out away from the the column and slide the mounting tab for the switch UNDER the white mounting tab for the cylindrical shaped device. As a side note if you do not have the "E4" socket (smallest NAPA had was the "E6") an #4mm pushed to the side will work just dont crank on the screws for the switch to hard. Hope this helps .. good luck all...(and thanks to everyone who posted responses to my earlier post regarding this problem)...Dave
p.s. I also found it helpful to follow some one elses advice and mark the one side of the other two connectors at the base of the ignition switch's harness, it did make reinstallation worry free.

Add your comment to this topic!