how to connect a laptop to obd-II

blactracsonoma
10-10-2007, 09:45 PM
well as the title states, i would like to know how to connect my laptop to my vehicle. i have a 1997 gmc sonoma 4.3l v6. Autozone can plug in their scan tool at the store, but i want to be able to plug my laptop into that same port at my house. I dont have the money to buy one of those scan tools, but i am aware that people can do what im asking about. My friend did it to my old 1990 V8Q audi(rest in piece....i mean in pieces that POS!!!!! ARGG) anyways, what kind of cable will i need? and what kind of software will i need to put on my laptop. is there any free software i can use? asking cus its broken down at my house. i have another thread for that in the sonoma section(has spark, and still wont start when starter fluid is sprayed in it). but i thought a new thread for this different question would be appropiate. I would like to get the CEL trouble codes this way.

Thanks!

cherryelky305
10-11-2007, 07:42 PM
well you can buy a kit from autotap. Its $200. I'm not aware of any free stuff, if you find some let me know though. I'm looking too.

J-Ri
10-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure how it was done, but a friend of a friend wrote a computer program for his laptop and hard-wired it into his car. He could control ANYTHING the PCM controlled, see codes, shut down a fuel injector or two while cruising, turn off the DRLs... anything. He had a digital readout of every sensor all the time. His total cost was forty-some dollars for a few wires. I'll try to get my friend to talk to his friend and maybe get the software from him. I asked him to get it for me a while back, but he said no.

Cadillakin'98
10-15-2007, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=J-Ri]His total cost was forty-some dollars for a few wires. QUOTE]

What about the cost of the computer? Yeah, see I knew it, it had to of cost more than $40+. Ok just kidding, that $40+ would be money well spent. Hope you can get a hold of that software.

J-Ri
10-16-2007, 03:15 PM
He said he lost it... anyone believe him?

I would love to have the software, it would save thousands of dollars even if all you used it for was guages.

rob67gmc
11-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Sorry this is a little late but I haven't been online for a while.

Look at
http://www.aldlcables.com/sc/toplevel.asp?cat=0

I bought the OBD1 cable instead of making my own and it came with a CD with about 20 free programs.

Rob

Add your comment to this topic!