Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Frustration !

auto
11-28-2002, 06:56 PM
I've been practicing with "Turtle wax Rubbing Compound" and "Turtle Wax Polishing Compound". If there is a shine i don't see it. Please help I've looked in the FAQ, and the question I want to ask is after using these two things should I use Autoglym Gold High Gloss Shine ? Will this make them shine as much as the cars in the Af car modelling gallery ? I would try using Tamiya compound and Tamiya wax but MY HOBBY STORE DOESN'T CARRY THEM! I guess I'll have to order them. But if using the Turtle wax rubbing compound, Turtle wax Polishing compound, and Autoglym Gold High Gloss Shine will produce great results please tell me. I really need :help: I don't want my model's paint job to be dull. :bloated:

Jay!
11-28-2002, 09:18 PM
Where in the world do you live?

primera man
11-28-2002, 10:25 PM
Find a store on line and order the Tamiya Compound and Wax and save all the frustration

lotus_man
11-29-2002, 03:20 AM
A word of warning on Autoglym polishes... the red creamy polish is great, I use it all the time on kits and my 1:1car. The liquid stuff with the gold label is also great, as long as you don't use it on TS paints. I tried this for an ultimate shine, and it stripped the paint straight off!!!

auto
11-29-2002, 09:03 AM
Where in the world do you live?

I live in Edison, New Jersey.

Hiroboy
11-29-2002, 06:07 PM
I found that Meguiars Polish works very well on TS Paints.

Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (Stage 1 of the Deep Crystal System)
Deep Crystal Polish (Stage 2 of the Deep Crystal System)
Deep Crystal Wax (Stage 3 of the Deep Crystal System)

I have used all these on the New Evo Lancer 7 WRC which is 98% complete.

Steve

RyanGiorgio
11-29-2002, 10:05 PM
I used turtle wax polishing compound on an unpainted body (JUN Prellude). Everyone said that it looked really shiny, and i thought it worked great. I rubbed it on with a damp cloth, waited a few mins, then buffed it with a dry cloth.

hirofkd
11-30-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by auto
I've been practicing with "Turtle wax Rubbing Compound" and "Turtle Wax Polishing Compound". If there is a shine i don't see it. Please help I've looked in the FAQ, and the question I want to ask is after using these two things should I use Autoglym Gold High Gloss Shine ? Will this make them shine as much as the cars in the Af car modelling gallery ? I would try using Tamiya compound and Tamiya wax but MY HOBBY STORE DOESN'T CARRY THEM! I guess I'll have to order them. But if using the Turtle wax rubbing compound, Turtle wax Polishing compound, and Autoglym Gold High Gloss Shine will produce great results please tell me. I really need :help: I don't want my model's paint job to be dull. :bloated:
What compound does is, that it removes the very outer surface of paint. Since your rubbing cloth can only get to the raised spots or bumps, it flattens the surface. It's kinda like using a ultra fine sand paper.
Now, if the bumps and dents are too big for compound, it'd have very little effect. Make sure you use fine sand paper of 2000 grit or above to prepare the surface before compound. If 2000 grid can't make the surface smooth, use 1500, but make sure you don't overdo it, or the primer surface will show up. Which tells you to have enough thickness of body color or clear coat if you sand and polish the surface.
I know the order of description is reversed, but that's the reasoning behind the common paint procedure.
One more tip of using a compound: It might be written on the bottle, but when you rub with the compound. don't wipe it off immediately, but leave it evenly on the body, and wait until it gets hazy. Then, use the clean part of cloth to wipe it off after it gets almost dry. (but not thoroughly dry, or dry compound might scratch the body.)

Add your comment to this topic!