Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cabin pressure oscillation

RIP
10-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Wife bought an 06 RAV 4 about a year ago. I've noticed while driving above 30 mph and especially on the highway a pretty hefty air pressure oscillation in the cabin with a single window rolled down. With two windows down it's not as bad but still there. I've experienced this in other cars but, not as pronounced. Is anyone experiencing this especially in a newer RAV and know why this happens?

typesix
10-11-2007, 04:56 PM
First generation Highlanders have this problem with the back windows partially open and with fronts closed. Many vehicles have this problem today because of vehicle aerodynamics, auto makers apparently are not testing cars with any windows open.

cmhj2000
10-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Yes, I too have noticed this. Not sure why but as mentioned earlier aerodynamics are very likely the reason.

main_man_vern
01-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Try experimenting with different windows rolled down. I have the same problem but have been able to eliminate it usually by cracking the window opposite the one I have down.

RB200sx
08-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Ford has a patch solution to that problem for their models. They recommend opening the rear windows to minimize the sensation. Opening the rear windows half way helps when you have the fronts open. I've done it on my 97 Rav4 with some success. There is no real fix, unfortunatrely.

OzzyO
04-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I noticed the same Problem also. I have to drive over 300 miles to go to a Hospital at times, I have a spinal cord injury, and I found that by putting the rear window behind the driver seat down a few notches helps the air circualte without all the noise that you get with the front driver side window down. When we drive those 300 miles the speed limit is 110 kilometers, or higher when I drive haha, and there all highway miles, plus I'm a smoker and it helps to get the smoke out of the Rav4 also. My wife is a smoker also so don't go jumping all over me now lol.
But it is the aerodynamics as previously mentioned, that causes all the noise when the front window or windows are down.
I hope this helps.
Take Care and Happy Rav'n

OzzyO :smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!