Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Eurovan - how to remove ignition switch

93urovan
10-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Any help in how to remove and replace the ignition switich on 1993 Eurovan will be very much appreciated. THis is an automatic gasoline 1993 VW Eurovan with 155K miles. Also could someone advise if I have correctly diagnosed the problem -- randomly and without warning, turning the key does nothing and then after a few failed attempts and lot of wiggling the key and with lots of luck the engine would crank and would start. (Everytime the engine cranks it starts up instantly, the challenge is to get the engine to crank!) Last night was the kicker -- the key would not turn the engine and after much wiggling the engine now turns but fails to start at all. I called AAA to get extra battery boost but that did not help either......So I am suspecting the ignition switch! Any help/suggestion/ideas/advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

redheadedtwizzler
03-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I have the same problem on my 1993 Eurovan MV. I have to wiggle the key hard while trying to start the engine to get it to start. Just turning the key isn't enough. I was told that you must drill a hole at a certain point on the key assembly to remove and replace the ignition switch. But I forget where you must drill the hole. Did you ever get it fixed?

Add your comment to this topic!