Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

3.8 Convertible engine swap... which engine is best?

thmp_lvr
10-08-2007, 03:19 AM
I own a 2003, 3.8L Mustang Convertible with too many mods to remember right now.. It's pretty quick for a severely underpowered V6, but you can only do so much with an engine that most performance companies want nothing to do with (except BBK).

I considered buying a 4.6 DOHC, and even had thoughts about using the 5.0 out of my truck.
I don't want to be just like every other 'Tom, Dick and Hairy' with the same mods done to the common 4.6L V8...and rebuilding and modifying the 5.0 from my old Bronco is way too much work and not to mention I'd be without a car while the work is being done.

An old friend suggested going with the RB26DETT engine out of a Twin-turbo Nissan Skyline, but I'm not a big fan of "Cross-Breeding".
My last idea was to use the engine and transmission out of a late model Crown Vic police interceptor. But I do not know if the engine and transmission will fit into my engine bay. I'm pretty sure it will, with mods to the K-member and transmission mounts..

If anybody has other ideas, I'm open for suggestions. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

thmp_lvr
11-23-2007, 10:27 AM
My girlfriend's brother sold me the engine out of his 93 Thunderbird Super Coupe. So I'm going to tear it down and rebuild it..hopefully it will fit.

Thanks to everybody who read for their ideas and opinions, or lack thereof...I pretty much figured everything out on my own.

drdisque
12-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Good luck with the SC engine.

It should fit fine, might even bolt right in, but you'll have a hell of a time wiring it since that engine is OBD1 but your car is OBD2

TENGRAM
12-07-2007, 06:59 PM
you'll have a hell of a time wiring it since that engine is OBD1 but your car is OBD2x2. if you decide that this isn't a viable option, i suggest looking into a supercharger. there are some pretty quick 3.8s running around here with them. other options would be turbo or nitrous. good luck with whatever you decide on.

351wStang
12-09-2007, 10:34 PM
I say leave the 3.8 and add boost.

mustangman02232
01-28-2008, 12:20 PM
sooo how is this project going?

and you did no research if you cant find any companies to make parts for these cars, the SC motor is single port, not split port so your loosing there and it wont pass smog due to an older motor in a newer car

should of went with a 4.2 out of an f150

AltecZX2
02-08-2008, 03:35 PM
boost the 3.8, or swap a mach1 or terminator motor in.

Add your comment to this topic!