can a dealership get you a vehicle from another dealership?

commandess
10-06-2007, 09:11 PM
i have a question, it's probably dumb but im only 19. i dont know anything about buying cars.

if there is a certain vehicle you want. exact color, options, price, etc...but it's located like 6 hours away in another state...would you have to drive over there to buy it and drive it home....or could a dealership near where you live get it from that other dealership? or how would I go about getting that car that I want, that's 6 hours away?

'97ventureowner
10-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Yes, a dealer can get a vehicle from another dealer. Some dealers are more willing than others to do it for the customers because it can depend on a number of factors. The profit a dealer can make on a vehicle can be a great motivator to get a specific vehicle for a customer. Other reasons a dealer may or may not be willing to go to another dealer to get a vehicle for them is their inventory. If they have a large supply of the same vehicle on their own lots, a dealer may be less willing to go to another dealer. And the time of year may also play a role in determining how far they will go(the earlier in the model year might yield better results as to the end of the model year.)Also from my experiences, it doesn't matter the size of the dealer as to who is more apt to get a vehicle from another dealer for their customer. I've seen large dealerships, and smaller "country" dealers go out all to secure a vehicle that they didn't have in stock. When I was in the market for a new pickup back in 1994, I was in discussion with my local dealer. I had a list of exactly what I wanted, and they did not have such vehicle in their inventory. They searched all the local dealers without any luck but did a wider search and found exactly what I wanted on Long Island, a 5 hour drive from me. So it all depends on how far the dealer is willing to go to satisfy their customers and to keep their business as to whether or not they will go out of their way to obtain a vehicle from another dealership. If you don't have success at one dealer, try another one.

sickcallawayc12
10-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Its possible, but I believe its best to drive that six hours yourself. I wouldn't want a third party involved in a car purchase.

commandess
10-06-2007, 10:15 PM
okay thanks. I felt it was better to just buy it directly from them anyway, I was just curious as to how that works. just in case. umm, so I guess it would just be a matter of making sure they still had that specific vehicle and then drive over there one morning to look at it, then buy it. right? don't wanna like buy it over the phone or before you see it, right? haha.

'97ventureowner
10-06-2007, 10:53 PM
okay thanks. I felt it was better to just buy it directly from them anyway, I was just curious as to how that works. just in case. umm, so I guess it would just be a matter of making sure they still had that specific vehicle and then drive over there one morning to look at it, then buy it. right? don't wanna like buy it over the phone or before you see it, right? haha.
The internet can be your friend in this matter. Case in point a few years back I was looking for a vehicle with certain options. I was at my local dealer trying to negotiate and they told me they had "access" to what I was looking for. They were being coy with me and I didn't know why. SO when the saleswoman stepped out of her office for a moment to check my credit , I noticed she left the paperwork, ( a printout from their computer about the vehicle I was interested in.) Come to find out it was at a dealership about 100 miles from me. When she came back, we talked a bit more, then I told her I would "think about it and call her later",( we couldn't agree on the final price.) When I went home I went on my computer and looked up the dealer's info I had seen on the paperwork, and contacted them about the vehicle. I found it on their website, along with a map to their business. I ended up going directly to them and buying it for a much cheaper price than my local dealer was willing to offer.
You can use the web to locate a certain vehicle in your area, as well as view dealer's inventories online, and contact them. Many sites also offer other services like financing, etc. The latest vehicle I purchased was done this way. I inputed what vehicle I was looking for then narrowed down my choices by stating what options I wanted, and then found a nearby dealer. I contacted them through an email, then by phone before I actually went and physically looked at the vehicle. You can save a lot of time, money , and gas by researching for your vehicle online first.

commandess
10-06-2007, 11:10 PM
thanks. good advice. that is what I have been trying to do. I found the vehicle that I currently want by searching autotrader. closest one to me that's the exact color and trim level that i want. low mileage and great price. do you know of any other sites/ways to search for cars online?

sickcallawayc12
10-06-2007, 11:19 PM
www.autotrader.com
www.cars.com
www.vehix.com
www.carsoup.com

'97ventureowner
10-06-2007, 11:22 PM
thanks. good advice. that is what I have been trying to do. I found the vehicle that I currently want by searching autotrader. closest one to me that's the exact color and trim level that i want. low mileage and great price. do you know of any other sites/ways to search for cars online?
Yes , it's as easy as using Google. When I was looking for my last vehicle I typed in the search box " buy 2006 Chevrolet Uplander" (omit the parenthesis, O used them to separate it from the sentence). Look at the results page and go from there. Google is more refined now than it was in the past and can custom tailor the results to your area. Especially if you look in the "sponsored links" area to the right. I live in Syracuse, NY and the results showed dealers within a certain area around Syracuse to check out. Also some of the manufacturer websites also have a link on their sites to find a certain vehicle you are looking for by using certain search criteria. They can offer names of dealers that may have the vehicle in stock currently near you.

commandess
10-06-2007, 11:30 PM
alright, thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!