Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

dont you hate it when u sanded too much paint off

tpliquid
10-05-2007, 02:05 PM
sigh, i had to repaint this damn car 2 times already.

i sanded down the clear coat smooth. then i polished the clear coat and black paint off. now its showing primer.

it was going good until that happened. dont you guys hate it when that happens?

freakray
10-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Why didn't you stop when you got through the clear into the black paint?

MPWR
10-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Freakin hate that. :banghead:

It's why stopped using micromesh. :disappoin I find that there are better ways now....

Didymus
10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
MPWR wrote:It's why stopped using micromesh. :disappoin I find that there are better ways now....
Which are...????

Actually, I agree. Tamiya's compounds are faster and produce better results. The "Coarse" is not really very coarse, but it's sufficient to take out orange peel. (What other reason is there for sanding a base coat or a clear coat?) And you get a brilliant shine with the Finish grade. It's too expensive, but it sure is good.

That said, burn-through is the result of removing paint; the method doesn't really matter so long as you aren't using something that accidentally scrapes edges and high spots. The only ways to actually PREVENT burn-through are to a) apply more paint and b) protect edges with masking tape.

Diddy

tpliquid
10-05-2007, 02:29 PM
i think i need apply more clear on it. i did not notice paint coming off until i finished using compound on the paint.

i guess i sanded down to the very last layer of the clear and the compound ate it all up.

Decs0105
10-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Yes!!!

I stopped doing that because it's just soo annoying :grinno:
Now I only use Finisher's Compound, the "hard" one even polishes out some imperfections and the other two are just to bring the shine back, works great as long as you don't have to much orange peel!!

chato de shamrock
10-06-2007, 04:42 AM
It happened to the model I finally finished last week. I gently, and i do mean gently, sanded and somehow managed to remove paint. I had to paint it over. Once that was done I applied some decals, CF decal in trunk and hood included. That came out nicely and i proceeded to clear coat it followed by painting the window trims in black. I masked around the windows and painted. After all this was done i peeled off the masking tape (made by Tamiya) and wouldnt you believe the masking tape pulled some of the CF decal off the trunk. :emo:

Didymus
10-06-2007, 11:28 AM
After all this was done i peeled off the masking tape (made by Tamiya) and wouldnt you believe the masking tape pulled some of the CF decal off the trunk. :emo:

A shame and a pity. I'd hate that even more than sanding too much paint off.

I've never even thought about it; always just assumed that "naked" decals are too delicate to be masked, especially with tape.

Diddy

Add your comment to this topic!