91 corsica - key won't crank

archon00
10-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I have a 91 Corsica. The key will turn to the on position but won’t turn to the next position to crank the engine. What can cause the key to not turn to crank the engine?

jsgold
10-04-2007, 11:22 PM
If you are lucky you might just have a worn out key. However on GM cars not uncommon for the key switch to wear out. I have not replaced one on our Corsica but my 93 Blazer went bad stuck in the run position. the actual ignition switch is further down the steering column, controlled by the key switch and a rod assy. These key switches are usually not expensive, even at the dealer. I bought mine there because the parts stores showed several different ones for my truck and they wanted to try and match up the old one. Instead I opted for a couple extra bucks and get one I knew would work. I ended up having to buy two specialty tools to remove the steering wheel on the truck. Just not sure on the Corsica but would assume they are similar. Might we able to borrow these from a parts store though, or, buy them if you have too. Might invest in a Haynes manual to help out just in case. Even the tools were not expensive though.

archon00
10-05-2007, 10:51 AM
I have tried the spare key and got the same results.

I picked up the Haynes Repair Manuel at the library. This is what it said about ignition switch key lock cylinder replacement:

“Take the vehicle to a dealer. A special tool is needed to remove the pivot pins in the steering column housing on tilt steering columns, making key lock cylinder replacement impossible for the home mechanic.”

I have thought about just getting a remote started hooked up to the solenoid. But that is in an awkward spot as well (up front and under the engine).

Blue Bowtie
10-07-2007, 10:40 AM
I picked up the Haynes Repair Manuel at the library. This is what it said about ignition switch key lock cylinder replacement:

“Take the vehicle to a dealer. A special tool is needed to remove the pivot pins in the steering column housing on tilt steering columns, making key lock cylinder replacement impossible for the home mechanic.”

I have thought about just getting a remote started hooked up to the solenoid. But that is in an awkward spot as well (up front and under the engine).

That is exactly why the Haynes Manuals are so valuable - As an emergency toilet tissue reserve.

All you need is a pin puller. You can purchase one, or make one for about 50˘ in parts:

http://72.19.213.157/files/PinPuller.gif

Add your comment to this topic!