Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Service Engine Soon light

violent31601
10-04-2007, 11:43 AM
hey guys recently my light lit up as I started my car and I drove home with it lit up for about a 15 mile drive and it seemed to be running fine, so when I got home I let it cool down and unhooked the battery and hooked it back up and it seemed to have went away. Could it have just been a glitch in my computer, could my car be fine?

PS: I don't know if it helps but i'm at almost 75,000 miles on my car and always to checkups and oil changes on time

david-b
10-04-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't understand the question.

You reset the car, the light goes away. I would have taken it in to Autozone, got it tested for free, and seen what it was. If the light is on, it's on for a reason.

violent31601
10-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I don't have an Autozone around me and every other place costs about $40 and this is a really bad week for money fore me so I just reset it thinking it could be just a glitch, since my car is running fine?

I was just asking if that was a possibility or if it always comes on for a reason?

david-b
10-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Most newer cars have those where they come on after so many miles to tell you to get work done or whatever, but not ours. If it's on, it's on for a reason... EVEN if it's still running good. The rear O2 may have went out. Still runs great since it doesn't do anything, but will throw a CEL. Could be anything.

You should buy a scanner then if it costs you $40 a shot. The scanners are like $80, so they pay for themselves for you it looks like.

JoeShmoe
10-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Where do they cost that much? Is it the scanner that tells you exactly what the problem is?

SilvrEclipse
10-04-2007, 04:10 PM
You would be better off investing that money into a datalogger were you can get more use out of it than just checkin CEL's.

Add your comment to this topic!