Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Pads

mike98
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I have a 2000 cavalier. Changed the pads and rotors 7000kms ago and the rotors are now totally grooved warped and out of specs. I can hear the brakes when I apply them. Sounds like grinding and the pedal pulsates(warped) like crazy. The brake pads are just like new.
The brake pads cost me about 40 bucks and the rotors were roughly the same.
The car is not driven harshly at all to wear this much.

My question is. Can I get a set of brake pads that are softer and rotor friendy? Can't get many answers here at Canadian Tire....I don't care about brake dust either.
If so what are they called? Performance? Ceramic, carbon? Putting slotted rotors on. By the way. If that means anything.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

shakewell
10-03-2007, 06:32 PM
If your rotors are getting warped that quickly, it's either because of the way you drive or the pads are not releasing properly when you let off the brake. You probably won't have that much better luck with different pads. I'm curious how they got grooved. If you had a shop do the work it might be warranteed.

mike98
10-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks shakewell.
The car is only driven about 9km's a day.(49 000kms total about 30 000 miles) on paved streets. I don't know how they(rotors) became grooved either.
You couldbe right abiut the calipers not releasing properly.

I have ordered new ones and some top of the line pads and slotted rotors.The calipers are still original and I noticed when I had the wheels off they were quite crusted up with rust and crud. I had done the last brake job myself and had cleaned everything up with a wire brish and sandpaper.

I just don't get that when I took off the brake pads they were just like new, grooved, but lots of brakes left.

Looks like the post got moved...I hope I didn't pi*s off the mods....sorry mods

Thanks Again
Mike

mike98
10-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Sorry for placing the post in the wrong section mods.

Mike

jakegday
10-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Sorry for placing the post in the wrong section mods.

Mike
im sure no one really cares, i dont know why but alot of posts have been getting moved within the last month or 2

Add your comment to this topic!