Page updated on 11-23-2017

Weird coolant issue.

drfinley99
10-03-2007, 04:53 AM
I have a '99 Blazer. A couple of months ago I noticed that the engine was running hotter than normal. I found that I was very low on coolant. I filled up the coolant and the temp. went to normal. A few days later it was hot again so I watched it and found there to eventually be a bad leak. I would pour a gallon in the radiator and there would be a large stream pouring onder the motor, and no I didn't spill any. Well I kept adding water and it was doing okay for a couple of weeks. Then I noticed a strange sound when I started the motor cold, it sounded like a repeating wistle sound that would speed up with the motor and get quieter after it warmed up a bit. It did not sound like lifters tapping (I had a Galant that had tapping lifters). Well last week it just stopped leaking all together, and so did that sound. I filled up the radiator and it seems to still be losing coolant but I dont see any leaking out and my engine is running a little hot, about 220. The oil looks fine, I had it changed about a month ago so it is still brown, not grey or anything. I am thinking maybe it was the water pump that was leaking and finally went out but I thought it would still leak coolant after it died. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

blazes9395
10-03-2007, 09:06 AM
It could be going into the engine, but being burnt by combustion. If it is entering an intake port it could very well be the case. If your not noticing any leaks and your loosing coolant, its probably getting into the engine, but in this case, the intake port and being burned. You need to doa coolant system pressure test and see what you can find.

Add your comment to this topic!