Page updated on 09-26-2017

starter problems?

dustin3891
10-02-2007, 10:46 AM
i have a 95 blazer 4.3 vortec and i just installed a new battery. i have been unable to start the thing since changing head gaskets and several other things. when i crank the engine the battery dies pretty quickly, and the engine doesnt seem to crank fast enough to start the engine. is there a way to test the amp draw on the starter with a fluke digital voltmeter? and if i have to change the starter, is there a trick to it, because the last time i tried on one of these, i couldnt get the starter out of the truck, due to lack of clearance. any help would be appreciated

93gmcjimmy
10-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I just changed the starter in mine and yes it is a major hassle. I had to remove the tranny dust cover and twist wiggle and hold my tongue a certain way to finally get it out. You have to GENTLY push the fuel lines over against the block to get it out. Then when you put it back in don't forget to make sure the fuel lines are not touching the block or rubbing anything else. It's very difficult. It took me about 45 minutes to get it out but it will come out.

MT-2500
10-02-2007, 11:53 AM
If your fluke has a amp probe you can read starter draw amps.
MT

MT-2500
10-03-2007, 09:11 AM
I might add that you need the high amp probe to check large amp readings.
Or some parts places give free starter and charging system checks.
Also they make starter and alt amp gauges to lay on the battery cable to check amp readings.

Add your comment to this topic!