Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

this amp with this sub?

hahapopcorn
10-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, i don't know crap about audio stuff. But my concern is i just ordered a sub but i don't know if i should get a new amp with it also, the ohms thing has me concerned because there was two types of alpine type-r's...a dual 2 ohm and dual 4 ohms.

Amp: Audiobahn A2401T

Channels
Amplifier TypeDual ChannelAmplifier Output2-channel

Power
Peak Power100 Watts x 2Output Details100 Watt - 4 Ohm - 2 channel(s), 140 Watt - 2 Ohm - 2 channel(s), 280 Watt - 4 Ohm - 1 channel(s)

Features
ColorsChromeHigh Pass Frequencies50 - 750 HzLow Pass Frequencies30 - 120 HzResponse Bandwidth10 - 40000 HzBass Boost Frequency45 HzBass Boost Gain0 to +18dBCrossover Slope18 dBDistortion Factor0.02 %

Sub: Alpine Type-R SWR-1522D 15" Subwoofer Dual 2-ohm Coils

Peak Power Handling :2000Watts
RMS Power Range :75-750Watts
Impedance: ( Ohms )2
Dual Voice Coil: Yes
Sensitivity: 89dB
Frequency Response:22-1KHz
Cone MaterialKevlar-reinforced pulp cone Surround MaterialCast aluminum frame with perimeter venting Size15"

will these work ok?

Thor06
10-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Dude, answering that question is like me asking you this question:

Will this black Ace Hardware bolt go with this Hardware Hank shiney looking nut?

We're going to need a few specifics before we can point you in the right direction homie.

hahapopcorn
10-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Dude, answering that question is like me asking you this question:

Will this black Ace Hardware bolt go with this Hardware Hank shiney looking nut?

We're going to need a few specifics before we can point you in the right direction homie.

How should i specify it more? o.O

SilvrEclipse
10-01-2007, 11:42 PM
With a dual 2-ohm speaker your amp is going to have to run at 1 or 4ohms. I would get look for an amp that is 1 ohm stable. And also make sure that the rms power are pretty close between the to.

Thor06
10-02-2007, 03:01 AM
Well considering before all you had was a brand and model number for each.... and I'll be damned if I am going to go look around for that when its you that needs to know.

Still need a tick more info like what the sub is rated for RMS. Thats not entirely necessary yet, but when you start looking for a bigger amp it will be.

And yes, that amp *could* work, but its horribly underdriven for that big ass 15" speaker. 280W RMS (peak doesnt mean shit) for that much sub is kinda rediculous, my 10" MTX thunder 8000 is driven by I think 290W RMS and it bumps pretty good, but its also got less than half the surface area. I'm guessing that sub can take probably atleast 600 RMS and I would look for atleast 500 for it if I were you.

SilvrEclipse
10-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Your going to need a bigger amp, that amp isint designed to push a sub. Look for something that is 1 ohm stable and can push around 800rms at 1 ohm.

Here is a good amp, not sure on your price range though. I assumed you wanted to stick with audiobahn.
http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/catalog%20page.asp?Product+%23=A8001DT

rickyrickster25
10-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Or, you could buy an Alpine amp... I have a 600 watt Alpine amp, and it has blown an explode, but that was just for fun, lol, and it also pushes my 12 pretty good. My opinon is if your getting a type-r sub, go with an Alpine amp, they are nice.

hahapopcorn
10-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Your going to need a bigger amp, that amp isint designed to push a sub. Look for something that is 1 ohm stable and can push around 800rms at 1 ohm.

Here is a good amp, not sure on your price range though. I assumed you wanted to stick with audiobahn.
http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/catalog%20page.asp?Product+%23=A8001DT

Hmm i see so this set up will not work at All? or will it just not reach the potential of the sub?

rickyrickster25
10-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Ok im not trying to be a dick or anything, maybe this will put it into perspective, right now you are trying to power your sub with way too little energy, you just dont have enough power being produced to power that sub to the point where its going to be worthwile to have set up. Its kind of like trying to start a forest fire during a flood, its just not going to happen, lol.

hahapopcorn
10-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Ok im not trying to be a dick or anything, maybe this will put it into perspective, right now you are trying to power your sub with way too little energy, you just dont have enough power being produced to power that sub to the point where its going to be worthwile to have set up. Its kind of like trying to start a forest fire during a flood, its just not going to happen, lol.

Lol yeah i get the picture..but a couple more things...even though they won't seem all that great will it work in general? and even if they did work is it BAD to underpower the subs with a crappy amp?

SilvrEclipse
10-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Yes it can be bad to under power a sub. That amp you were looking at is more for powering speakers. Your looking for more of monoblock class D amp.
If you used that low powered amp your going to be pushing it so hard to try and drive that sub its not going to be good. When you max an amp out like that you loose a little bit of sound clarity.

vanilla gorilla
10-02-2007, 05:11 PM
You don't have to go with a class D amp. I prefer a class AB amp for a sub anyday. To each his own. I really don't know anything about audiobahn amps. But yeah like home dude a few posts up said, Alpine makes nice amps. Great amps for your money. Plus they don't try and bullshit you with big numbers to get you to buy them (like most brands do, pioneer for example). Alpine amps put out what they advertise.

hahapopcorn
10-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Yes it can be bad to under power a sub. That amp you were looking at is more for powering speakers. Your looking for more of monoblock class D amp.
If you used that low powered amp your going to be pushing it so hard to try and drive that sub its not going to be good. When you max an amp out like that you loose a little bit of sound clarity.

That crappy little audiobahn is what i have and what i used to power my 15 inch fosgate (an older one forgot wut model) it worked pretty good with that...but anyways, so if i max out my amp is the amp the only thing that will mess up? or will the subs go to crap too? Sorry this is the last question lol thanks all of you for the info and advice.

gthompson97
10-02-2007, 07:30 PM
The sub will physically "put out" sound with that amp, but it won't be anywhere near sounding like it should with an amp rated to put out what that sub takes. Running an amp at maximum power isn't good for them because you can risk overheating and ruining the whole amp, on the other hand, underpowering a sub will not ruin it within a week, but over time it really starts to take a toll on the inners of the sub, therefore running the risk of blowing it.

That should clear up your questions.

rickyrickster25
10-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Yea so i would honestly go with an alpine amp, lke i said there 600 is one of their smaller amps and it can max out my 12" type-r, which isn't a whole lot different then yours, basically just a bit smaller. If you really feel like you dont know what you are doing, go to best buy, they carry alpine amps, and they will be able to steer you in the right direction, and they have pretty great prices when it comes to that kind of thing too. You can also go to alpines website, http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/ (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/) it is a great site, and they are really good at getting back to you quickly if you have a question. It is also very detailed on specs and stuff of their products, but their online prices are outrageously over. I have a deck from them that is MSRP'd on the website for over $500, and i paid like $230 for it at best buy, i also got my amp there to and my sub..... great place for alpine products, and like vanilla gorrila said, you actually get what you pay for.

Add your comment to this topic!