Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My feet are burning

97blazer1986
10-01-2007, 07:59 PM
When I am driving the 97 blazer I am getting a lot of heat coming in down by my feet and I feel it between the dash and the door on the left side too. I assume it is the same on the other side too. Not sure. My temp gauge is reading normal. I am also smelling a buring smell of some sort every once in a while. I am not sure what is going on. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. I also see steam coming from under the hood every once in a while too.

Rick Norwood
10-01-2007, 08:31 PM
It sounds like the elusive blending door. These trucks have constant flow through the heater core, with doors that open and close to direct the air flow through the heating coil called blending doors. I have been told by my dealership that some hot air is is normal even when the switch on the dash is turned into the blue or cold section. I agree. it is a pain in the @$$, I even had a dealer tell me to drive with the A/C on even in the winter. You might do a search on Blending Doors for more info.

Here is a little bit of info on basic cooling systems about the steam.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=729213

Good luck - Rick

97blazer1986
10-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I haven't taken it on a long road trip yet. I just don't want any breakdowns. I have been reading on the forum and it says to switch to a stant cap for the radiator and there is no explanation why. I assume it is somewhere on this forum but there is just so much d*** information. Could someone please tell me why?????

blazee
10-01-2007, 09:07 PM
I haven't taken it on a long road trip yet. I just don't want any breakdowns. I have been reading on the forum and it says to switch to a stant cap for the radiator and there is no explanation why. I assume it is somewhere on this forum but there is just so much d*** information. Could someone please tell me why?????There have been a lot of problems with the original caps not sealing properly, causing the system to not hold pressure, and allowing it to become contaminated.

blazes9395
10-01-2007, 09:07 PM
The reason to switch to a stant cap is that the OE caps on these trucks, as they age allow air to get into the cooling system. The trapped air that enters the system reacts with the coolant and causes sludge formation. Stant provides a better seal and reduces the chance of cooling system problems as a result of a bad rad cap.

...and what blazee said...he beat me to it

97blazer1986
10-01-2007, 09:13 PM
thanks a lot guys

Add your comment to this topic!