Page updated on 11-17-2017

New Engine

judge sauer
10-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Hey all, new member here. I can not express the amount of problems that I've had with my '98 Jimmy. I've brought it back to the shop after having the front drive shaft and front left cv shaft replaced. The vehicle was having problems going in reverse and a pinging and clicking sound has been going for some time at the front end.....turns out my engine's bearings are going out and could be on it's last leg.
The shop is currently installing a new rear differential. I've decided to get a new engine and was wondering if any of you could help me out with what can fit into the Jimmy.
I'm pretty much looking to bring up the value a little and sell it as I still have $9000.00 on my loan to pay off.
If any of you can point me in right direction, that would help a lot.

jdmccright
10-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Sorry to hear your woes, but I don't think there is anything you can do that will let you recoup your loan amount on a '98 with the work you say needs to be done unless it has outrageously low miles, is loaded, and immaculate. A loaded '98 SLT with 108k miles (12k miles/yr) in excellent condition has a Kelly Blue Book value of $6,150 for a private party sale. Good luck to you there.

The clicking sound could be a partially engaged front differential that is caused by a faulty differential vacuum switch...have them check that as well to prevent early failure of the new shaft.

If you can find a low-miles 4.3L replacement, that's your safe bet. Any customizing by adding a V8 runs the risk of the project not being done right, ruining the vehicle...find a GOOD reputable shop if you decided to go that route.

judge sauer
10-01-2007, 03:54 PM
The worst part of it all is that the vehicle has just under 74,000 K's on it.
For the work that I've done myself, I've put in a big nosed hood (just under $1000 for it) on it and will be painting the lower half of the vehicle. Took out the running boards and put in step bars. Took out the stock stereo and installed a new Panasonic stereo with the iPod attachment running out from the ashtray into the coin tray.

blazer4x4
10-01-2007, 05:36 PM
The worst part of it all is that the vehicle has just under 74,000 K's on it.
For the work that I've done myself, I've put in a big nosed hood (just under $1000 for it) on it and will be painting the lower half of the vehicle. Took out the running boards and put in step bars. Took out the stock stereo and installed a new Panasonic stereo with the iPod attachment running out from the ashtray into the coin tray.

I purchased my 1999 blazer a 6 months ago w/ 105,000 miles at 106,000 had to rebuild the engine i bought a crate long block from O'riely's it cost me about 1,900 dollars with a 12 month unlimited mile wareeny for an extra 99 dollars you can get an extra 2 year unlimitited mileage warrenty.

Rick Norwood
10-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Your cheapest route is to put the exact same size motor into it that you have in it already. This way you avoid buying all the parts that don't fit anymore, won't match up or are different. Remember, when you swap out an engine, you usually have to replace everything, right down to the Dipstick Tube, so as many of the covers, pans, brackets, pulleys, AC units, Powersteering pumps and other related bolt on accessories that can be salvaged from the old beast, the cheaper it is for you.

Stay away from private rebuilders, AutoZone, and Fly by Night outfits. Buy a Long Block from a reputable distributor and you'll be better off. The bigger, longer warranty the better.

blazes9395
10-01-2007, 10:18 PM
You have $9000 left, your doing mods, painting, new hood, new rear, engine, and your planning on selling it? Wow thats rough. When you say new engine, do you mean "new" engine? In this case I would get a good used engine at a scrap yard and get it installed and go from there. Whats the use of putting a new engine in it and then selling it and spending money you will not get out of it for sure.

judge sauer
10-02-2007, 02:12 AM
You have $9000 left, your doing mods, painting, new hood, new rear, engine, and your planning on selling it? Wow thats rough. When you say new engine, do you mean "new" engine? In this case I would get a good used engine at a scrap yard and get it installed and go from there. Whats the use of putting a new engine in it and then selling it and spending money you will not get out of it for sure.

That is true...but than again we don't really have any scrap yards wayyyyyy up in the north, and trust me, you don't want anything from our scrap yards.

judge sauer
10-02-2007, 02:13 AM
Your cheapest route is to put the exact same size motor into it that you have in it already. This way you avoid buying all the parts that don't fit anymore, won't match up or are different. Remember, when you swap out an engine, you usually have to replace everything, right down to the Dipstick Tube, so as many of the covers, pans, brackets, pulleys, AC units, Powersteering pumps and other related bolt on accessories that can be salvaged from the old beast, the cheaper it is for you.

Stay away from private rebuilders, AutoZone, and Fly by Night outfits. Buy a Long Block from a reputable distributor and you'll be better off. The bigger, longer warranty the better.

Thanks for the advice man, really appreciate it. I'm sure there's a couple questions on this forum I could answer from all the problems I've had :frown:

blazer4x4
10-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the advice man, really appreciate it. I'm sure there's a couple questions on this forum I could answer from all the problems I've had :frown:

The long block was a 4.3 i didnt upgrade to a v8 i stayed with the 4.3 v6 used as much of the old parts as possible and had it back up in a week.

judge sauer
10-02-2007, 12:41 PM
The long block was a 4.3 i didnt upgrade to a v8 i stayed with the 4.3 v6 used as much of the old parts as possible and had it back up in a week.

Makes a lot of sense. If I decide to keep a GMC 4.3 V6 in there, I'll make sure that I keep as many original parts as possible.

Add your comment to this topic!