Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Creaking Sound while turning wheels...sounds like old, rusted door

vwjetta96
09-30-2007, 10:32 PM
I have a problem with my Stratus 2.0 and any input would be greatly appreciated!

When I drive the car for a while, I start to notice that every time I turn the steering wheel left or right it does creaking sound exactly like an old door that needs to be oiled.

Usually, I need to drive the car for a short while before it starts happening. It does not do it when the car is parked with engine off. However, it does happen if I just sit in traffic idling or driving. It happens even if I don't go over bumps.

Aside from the noise nothing is going on. No stiffness in steering wheel, nothing unusual performance wise.
Now my guess is a ball joint problem but don't know if I am right or not. Please advice what it could be and if I can repair on my driveway instead of an expensive shop. I have absolutely no money and I am trying to figure out if I could drive the car for a little bit longer without getting into an accident by losing my wheels:banghead:
Thank you very much!

moparman91
11-17-2007, 08:12 PM
i have the same problem but it when i put is in reverse and drive and going over bumps and other things iv looked at the motor mounts but they look ok but if any won else has this problem check the motor mounts ans the stering ball joints

randy78
11-17-2007, 09:27 PM
ball joint or TRE

possibly struts too but they make more of a dry rubber squeal type of noise

the 90s ford F150 trucks make the dry metal squeal noise alot, very common

dry joints

good luck

336,000C/K
03-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Very comm0on problem with the Stratus is the lower ball joints/lower control arms. they are not greasable and make noise like a creaking door when they wear out. Takes about 2 hours per side labor time and the arm/joints can be found for around $150 a side.

dsramprat
04-06-2008, 02:54 PM
It is the lower ball joints. I have some info posted in the following thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=892575

pcjunkie7
06-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I have the exact same problem with my 98 Stratus. I think it started around 160K and I drove it for another 15k or so. Now it makes a grinding noise when I turn the wheel sharply and some of what I read sounds like that might be wheel bearings.

Add your comment to this topic!