Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant leaking from under 1996 Rodeo 3.2L

djlu71
09-29-2007, 07:41 PM
I need some serious help. My 1996 Rodeo 3.2L was leaking coolant from under the engine area so I had the water pump changed. I just pulled it out from the shop today and the mechanic told me that he changed the pump, but it is still leaking coolant underneath. He claims that it could be a hose/tube that is not visible which is under the air intake on the top part of the engine. For some reason I don't buy this. Any ideas would be very helpful.
Thanks.

FL 3.2L
09-29-2007, 07:58 PM
He's probably dead on. Let me see if I can find a pic...
There are 2 metal cooling pipes on top of the engine, between the heads, under the intake manifold, and they have o-rings at one end. If they leak coolant, it pools on top of the engine. You can look down in there with a flashlight and see it. When enough collects up there, it drains through a hole at the back of the engine and travels down.

Another option is the freeze plugs at the back of the engine.

FL 3.2L
09-29-2007, 08:02 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/surferfletch/Rickspictures166.jpg

One pipe connects at the back and one at the front. I have removed the thermostat housing up front in this pic, and you can see the water manifold at the rear. One pipe is still in there and the bigger one has been removed. They each have an o-ring at the end. Sounds like you are due to replace those 25 cent rubber o-rings (with a little labor, of course). Good luck!

FL 3.2L
09-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Also, see those 2 smaller hoses up front, and the hoses at the rear off the water manifold? Heater hoses can leak, too. If he takes it all apart, change as many hoses as you can see! Some are dealer type items, as they are preformed.

Creed5732
09-27-2021, 05:15 PM
question any of you know the size of the size of the exhaust pipe on the bottom of the EGR valve? cant seem to get at it with an adjustable wrench. do not think i can adjust the intake manifold without removing this 1st to be able to get to these clips on the back on the fuel rail. to make more room to remove? My idea is to get the pipe off shift the intake just a little to remove the darn fuel lines that they have bolted to the back of it, as if the fuel regulator bracket was not hard enuff to get the heck off. the more i work on these the more i hate the design team. Just because it works in cad does not mean you should do et. So again for clarity what size is the nut that attaches from the exhaust pipe to the egr valve? or if you have any other things i should know or how to go about this when removing the intake manifold. Thank you in advanced.

Add your comment to this topic!