Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Passport CEL codes

90centurypiece
09-29-2007, 02:55 PM
1999 Passport, 125K, 2wd, auto, 6cyl. My budy bought this for his kid and the CEL light is on. Autozoo's scanner said 6 codes but two repeated. According to the Haynes book the codes are: P0172 "Fuel trim system too rich (cylinder bank no. 1)", P0174 "Fuel trim system too lean (cylinder bank no. 2)", P0300 "Random/Multiple cylinder misfire detected", and P0401 "Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) sytem, insufficient flow detected". I've only driven it once. A touch of rough idle, no apparent lack of power, interesting shifting. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!!!

Gizmo42
09-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Most likely the intake manifold gaskets are bad going by those codes. Not uncommon for 2nd gen rodeos.

More info about the IMG can be found at http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq5

90centurypiece
09-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Most likely the intake manifold gaskets are bad going by those codes. Not uncommon for 2nd gen rodeos.

More info about the IMG can be found at http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq5

The carb cleaner test did not produce any results, any other suggestions or is that test not reliable?

2000izusu
09-30-2007, 03:02 PM
The carb cleaner test did not produce any results, any other suggestions or is that test not reliable?
doesn't mean it still is not the intake gasket! you may have not hit the sweet spot (were the crack is) out of three sets of gaskets mine have had the carb cleaner trick only worked on one. mike

90centurypiece
10-01-2007, 05:51 PM
doesn't mean it still is not the intake gasket! you may have not hit the sweet spot (were the crack is) out of three sets of gaskets mine have had the carb cleaner trick only worked on one. mike

I think it's funny I found "Vac Leak" written in sharpie on the upper with a nice arrow pointing to the driver side. I'll see what the owner thinks. Thanks a bunch!

90centurypiece
10-01-2007, 06:58 PM
How many gaskets are replaced? The set I have on will call has 3 gaskets. Does anyone have a writeup with pics? Thanks!!!!

90centurypiece
10-02-2007, 06:16 PM
How many gaskets are replaced? The set I have on will call has 3 gaskets. Does anyone have a writeup with pics? Thanks!!!!

Anyone? Sorry, need to get on this thing tonight. Any info is apreciated.

2000izusu
10-02-2007, 06:37 PM
pics and step by step are in the f.a.q. at the top of the main page in the stickies. mike

90centurypiece
10-02-2007, 06:48 PM
pics and step by step are in the f.a.q. at the top of the main page in the stickies. mike

Sorry, noob mistake. Thank you!

kcr68xx
01-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Could not find the other thread that I had posted to but this one is the same subject....I got my intake manifold gasket replaced for 210 (I'm lazy) the part is 50 so you could really save some money on doing it yourself. My syptoms for my 99 Honda Passport were the whistleing engine along with the CEL light on. A computer diagnostic for the CEL showed misfires and O2 sensors problems. The idle was always rough from 200 RPMs to 3,000 RPMs and would even stall right after starting. After doing all the reading on these Forums, I went ahead and got the gasket changed. EVERYTHING IS FREAKING GREAT NOW....Thanks for info and replies and this whole forum...it saved me from a Mech who wanted to start at the top of the engine and work his way down replaceing all seals!!! I told him no....just the manifold intake gaskets...

Add your comment to this topic!