Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Aurora dying at stops

bflipps
09-29-2007, 12:42 PM
My 98 Olds dies when I am stopped at a light or train, etc.... It doesn't rumble prior to stalling so I don't even know until I step n the gas and don't go anywhere. The alternator has been replaced and the battery check says its fine.:banghead:

97AuRoRaGaL
10-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Same thing was happening to my 97 Aurora until I found the answer on this board. It was the Crankshaft Sensors. Replaced both, then problem went away. It was about 200 bucks. The parts plus the labor.

adammerlehungate
10-27-2007, 09:28 AM
My 1998 Aurora is doing the same thing, it was doing it for a while and then later the SES light came on, took it to the service shop and they say the computer says it is a torque converter that the computer is singling out. It does not run rough at all just dies on occasion when at a stop. Could the computer be wrong? Is it really the camshaft/crankshaft sensors? Any ideas?

97AuRoRaGaL
10-27-2007, 07:04 PM
I would change the Camshaft, Crankshaft Sensors to solve the problem. There is one Camshaft and 2 Crankshaft sensors total. It might be 300 bucks or more total, but worth it to finally solve the proble that is very hard to diagnose. This worked for me.

adammerlehungate
12-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Ok, so my mechanic replaced 1 cam shaft sensor and ONLY 1 crankshaft sensor, I told him there were 2 crank sensors total but he didn't listen, the car is back in the shop and i haven't driven it since the second crank sensor was replaced. That being said when I took it out of the shop for the first time with only 1 of the 2 crank shaft sensors replaced, it drove like a dream for about 30 miles then when I put it in PARK it died, just the same way it was dying before, except before it would only die when in DRIVE at a stop sign, and only when the engine was warm, now it dies in DRIVE, NEUTRAL, or PARK. When I get it back with both crank sensors replaced should this problem go away? Would having only one crank sensor replaced cause it to die in neutral or park as well as drive? If the other crank sensor is replaced and it does the same thing any other ideas as to why my engine dies? It still dies quickly without bogging down? Fuel problem or something? I'm confused. :uhoh: I'm just worried that the problem is not with the crankshaft and camshaft sensors.

Add your comment to this topic!