My Impala shuts off while driving

Autumn9
09-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Yesterday was the second time my vehicle just shut off while I was driving on a highway. The first time was when the car was about a month old but I was driving about 60 miles an hour and it hit a sunk in sewer grate pretty hard so I chalked it up to possibly being a safety feature that turns off the car on impact.

But yesterday (a year later) I was again on the Expressway and going about 55 mph hit a little bump and again my car shuts down...the whole instrument panel went black and gauges down to zero, but my flashers worked and seem like the power steering and brakes and all were fine. I couldn't restart the car while it was moving but when I came to a stop and was able to but it in Park, it started up right away. Anyone have any clue what this could be...was pretty scary coming to a stop in the left lane..

maxwedge
09-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Welcome to AF, please post the year and engine, get used to providing all the pertinent info when posting, thanks.

57chevyragtop
09-29-2007, 02:46 AM
That would be a scary situation for sure...regardless of engine info this needs a thorough inspection to find the cause. It certainly is not normal. I think it best to contact dealer for service. Should still be in warranty. These type of things can be hard to duplicate by a tech so offer to leave the car for a couple of days if needed. May be as simple as a loose connection or as serious as a defective component. Please post if solution found. However, engine information is needed when posting for possible cause for replies to question(s).

luarg2
10-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I had a very similar issue with my impala. Turned out to be an electrical issue and the mechanic fixed an ignition wire that had somewhat seperated. Whenever i would hit a bump the car would shut off and i would have to coast and park it but then it would start right back up like normal but it got progressively worse. Have a mechanic inspect you electrical ignition wirings.
Good Luck
Look up my prior posts for more info.

j cAT
10-12-2007, 10:17 PM
if the battery power is lost vehicle will shut off. when you tried to start and it did not start did it crank? if it cranked then I would check CPS crank position sensor and wiring use ohmmeter to check resistance should read around 1k ohms if open or very high resistance replace easy cheap $30..I dont recommend dealer tech on electrical problems .obviously check alt. and batt. connections and wiring to starter as well as any fuseable links that are corroded..

Add your comment to this topic!