Headlight Prolbem - Relay? Connector?

jrwpmw
09-28-2007, 08:20 AM
The passenger side headlight is out (bulb is good) on my 2000 villager. The fuses are good too, I heard it could be a relay, but could not find where that is located? Also heard it could be a bad connector (the 3 wire plug that connects to the bulb)?

Any other ideas? Dose anybody know where the headlight relays are located for a 2000 villager? :banghead:

Thanks in advance!

dzus
09-28-2007, 10:19 AM
The relay is in the engine compartment. Does the high beam come on when you pull the turn lever towards you?

jrwpmw
09-28-2007, 10:41 AM
No highbeams - now power to that light.
Swapped bulbs with the good headlight, swapped fuses. All good.

I think this is something in the wiring, that's why I was thinking maybe the connector is bad (the connector that plugs into the bulb) or maybe the relay is bad.

Where in the engine compartment is the relay? I assume there is one for each headlight? So swapping the relays would be a good test? I just can't find these things.

dzus
09-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Should be a black box by the battery,remove cover and on the other side there will be a diagram that shows the relays and fuses.Pulling back on the turn lever turns on the high beams bypassing the relays.

jrwpmw
09-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Should be a black box by the battery,remove cover and on the other side there will be a diagram that shows the relays and fuses.Pulling back on the turn lever turns on the high beams bypassing the relays.

Yes - saw that box and NOTHING labled headlight relay! What else would that relay be called?

Also - per your post. Since once headlight is completely out (no high or low beam) it sounds like the Relay would not be the problem then?

Thanks very much!

tempfixit
09-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Try spraying the dimmer/signal light connector in the steering colom with electrical cleaner, had the same problem with a 94 and the light has worked since.

Hope this helps.

Harpoon Dodger
12-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Have the 1997 Villager, same problem. Did lots of trouble shooting, but finally found it in the headlight switch. To fix, remove switch from instrument panel (just pull), and disconnect from the harness. Remove the screws from the back cover and there will be 3 metal contacts. One was heavily worn and coated with black soot or plastic dust. I exchanged a good one for the bad one, cleaned everything with lots alcohol, and reassembled. All headlights working again.

Or you could buy a new replacement switch online for $75 to $150.

rhandwor
12-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Make sure you don't have a corroded ground strap for the side which doesn't work. Should be near the light. If one side is loose or corroded fix both sides.

anchorbeach
01-04-2008, 08:31 AM
My wife has a 1999 villager, I need to find the headlight relay location. It isn't under the hood, I found in another forum, that someone said it was under the center console, he said, and this after troubleshooting extensively seems to be a good candidate for the problem, that the circuit board the relays sit on have bad solder connections and nee dto be resoldered. I just can't find the relays, I bought the Haynes manual, it is worthless in showing the relays
Help! :>)
Thanks
It's been a weird week, my Jeep's headlights just started acting up as well, it's like we have headlight gremlins running around the house

rhandwor
01-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Look in the owners manual if you have one. Look for the fuse holder it may be on the left or right side of the steering column. Normally they are marked. Look for the relay in this area on the fuse holder. Use a flashlight and look and it should be apparent and marked on the cover.

anchorbeach
01-04-2008, 07:22 PM
My wife bought it new and has the owners manual, it still doesn't indicate the location of the headlight relays, just shows where the fuses are located.

rhandwor
01-04-2008, 09:05 PM
If you pull the cover for the fuses and for the relays a diagram is on the inside of the cover.

anchorbeach
01-06-2008, 08:10 AM
The relays for the headlights is buried in the center console. I haven't actually seen them yet, but I heard them buzzing while my brother in law andI were trying to solve this problem. For the time being,it is winter you know:>), we have the problem of intermiitant headlights under control, but I will be taking apart the console and checking that ciruit board for cold solder, once it warms up a bit.
Someone posted on one site I was looking at that the circuit board is where I heard the relays buzzing and said that the solder connections are a problem, the way our problem manifested itself, I have to believe him.
For whatever reason the location of the headlight relays is not in the owners manual, is not in the Haynes manual, but is on the schematics. Why the mystery is beyond me

bensonchuong
04-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I beleive it your daylight contorl module, you'll need to repir that by esodering the relays on the board, or you'll need to replace that. The workaround would be to manually connect the passenger headlight to ground.

tgd1185
09-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Ok quick question the orange/blue wire coming off of the driver's side headlight is grounding out now im trying to find the relay for it and have traced it back to inside of the cab now does anybody know where the relay is please help me its driving me crazy. these are also not made for a tall person to work on.been working on this thing for three days trying to solve this problem. Please help

bensonchuong
09-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Ok quick question the orange/blue wire coming off of the driver's side headlight is grounding out now im trying to find the relay for it and have traced it back to inside of the cab now does anybody know where the relay is please help me its driving me crazy. these are also not made for a tall person to work on.been working on this thing for three days trying to solve this problem. Please help

The relay should be in the relay box near the battery. Your relay going to the cab is probably heading to the switch.

tgd1185
09-23-2012, 02:55 PM
I pulled the switch and it wasn't going there.

bensonchuong
09-23-2012, 06:39 PM
The OR/L wire from the LH (Drivers) headlamp is for the high beam. It goes to the Headlamp control unit. From the diagram the headlamp control unit seems to be located in the driver's footwell beside the gas pedal, in front of the air bag control module.

I'm not sure what's you checked but here's what I would look at
Fuse #30 10A fuse, in fuse box left of drivers footwell
Fuse #36 and #37 15A fuse in fusible link box engine side of the battery
Check for continuity from the headlamp control module to the headlight both the orange and OR/L, and check the black for continuity to ground.

In the 2000 model the relays were all combined into the headlamp control module, so if that's the issue it will need to be replaced.

Add your comment to this topic!