Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

coming out of 5th gear

tiby00
09-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Ok...so I am taking my car to a professional mechanic...instead of letting some small time moron work on my car. I learned my mistake the hard way unfortunately. :banghead:

Now my here is what is going on. The clutch was "fixed" and it still slips. Which it shouldn't be. I am told that it could be a defective pressure plate because my pressure plate is brand new. When I finally get into 5th gear....and drive for a bit...it jumps out of gear and into neutral on its own. It does this if I have it on cruise or not. I have to hold the stick in 5th gear and that's not fun. :disappoin

Why could it be doing this? What's causing it to do that?

*EDIT* For those of you who may not know...I have a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon (of course) and it's a 5 speed manual transmission.

Jalmir
09-28-2007, 07:53 AM
you have a dead bearing in the tranny ... opening the transmission is pricey, been there, done that! loll

I really think your option would be to find a cheap low mileage tranny and bring it to a good mechanic to swap it, he'll then be able to check the clutch problem, even if I doubt it, the slipping problem could be related to that dead bearing, unfortunately that's a 500$ total if you find a cheap MT ... sorry to bring bad news! :(

And for the record, I'm sure your "clutch mechanic" would told you it's a bad synchro that makes the 5th gear pop out! (and that would be false!) :)

EDIT : I just thought about it, it might not be the tranny but your mechanic, it's possible that he wrongfully reinstalled the MT, there might be a linkage problem, too loose or too thight, it's touchy to check and changing the MT will fix the problem as the linkages will be reinstalled properly, it would need a good diagnostic to be sure it's the tranny.

tiby00
09-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Jalmir

Yet again you prove to be valuable with information! You are a great mind-reader too! LOL My "clutch mechanic" did try to tell me it was my synchro that went bad. I told him "I don't think it is, because there is no grinding and it's never done that before." He just got kind of quiet and didn't say anything.

I also told him that I wanted my old clutch and pressure plate dropped off at my house and that I was going to get my MT rebuilt. (I lied to him) I'm going to take it to a PROFESSIONAL mechanic who's CERTIFIED and will WARRANTY the work. I'm getting a loan to get my car fixed and I'm willing to pay the $900 they want for the work. I don't care...as long as it's fixed, warrantied and they're certified. I can't believe...well then again I can....got raped....hard from some "mechanic" who charged me $250. I might as well taken that money and burned it after I got paid from work. :banghead:

I'll keep you posted Jalmir - thanks again for your wealth of information! too bad I dont live near you or we could travel super fast and i would help you work on my car lol

Jalmir
10-01-2007, 09:23 AM
ha I knew he would say it's a sychro, it's kind of a myth in car mechanic to think that a gear pop is related to the synchros (that in fact have nothing to do with keeping the transmission in gear!).

If the Pros are asking 900$ you're at the right place, that what cost the rebuid of my Mazda 626 MT!

And yeah having lived near you I would've found some time to get there and help you (even might have changed the clutch correctly in the first time! lol)

Add your comment to this topic!