Page updated on 11-23-2017

96 Blazer wont start

lazman
09-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey all,

I'm hoping you can help me out, my 96 S-10 4x4 blazer wont start. Little background first, I had a short from my amplifier in the back that welded itself to frame and drained my battery about 1 1/2 years ago, so after finding the short, I bought a new battery. All working working well for about 6 months, this car don't get much use, the battery would drain and it would need to be jumped. After jumping the car it wold work for a day or two then need to be jumped again. The truck sat in the driveway for about 3 weeks and I never started it, just got busy, I don't normally do that, but when I went to jump it, nothing happened, It wouldn't take a jump. Since I had my doubts about the alternator, I took the alternator the autozone today and had it tested, it tested fine. Also took the battery to Sears and they gave me a brand new one, the guy said the old battery had no continuity. So now I got home, installed the alternator and brand new battery, turned the key and .....nothing happens, all dash lights are on, the dome light is lit, power door locks work, but just a click is all I hear. So could it be the starter? could the starter had been an issue the whole time after I found the short since the new battery kept draining? Thanks for any help.

sbaj
12-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi -
I have a similar problem. I have problems starting my 96 Blazer 4x4 too.
I changed the battery and alternator. BUT If I dont start the vehicle everyday the battery drains and the vehicle wont start. I unplugged all my in dash lights thinking that could be it. No luck. Everythin else works fine and I have no problem jump starting it. The battery is leaking some juice and I cant find the culprit. I took it to the shop for an electrical diagnosis and they couldnt find anything. I was wondering if I could unhook my daylights???
I was wondering where you noticed your leak and how you checked it?

Thanks.

lazman
12-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Sbaj,

Here is the procedure I used to isolate a battery drain. Remove negative battery cable from the battery. Using a 12-volt test light, connect one end to the negative battery post the other end to the negative battery cable you just disconnected. The test light will glow if there is a drain.

then start removing and replacing the fuses one by one
until the light goes out. Once the light goes out, thats the fuse the causing the short, then use your manual and go thru the items one by one until you find the short.

Add your comment to this topic!