Page updated on 09-26-2017

car alarm? what features does it have

97blazer1986
09-27-2007, 03:39 PM
I have a car alarm installed in my 97 blazer but it says nothing about a car alarm in the manual. but it looks stock. idk. when i first got the vehicle about 2 weeks ago I didn't even know it had an alarm on it. so i was tripped the alarm by opening the door handle. I didn't know how to shut it off so I just started pushing buttons besides the door lock button. my car just started up automatically and I don't know why. I put the key in the ignition and it wasn't doing anything I could move the key all the way forward and back but it wasn't shutting off so I hit the brake pedal and it went off. Why is that and what is this feature good for.?????? and does my car have automatic start if it has this feature...???? thanks

goser
09-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah that's an aftermarket alarm and remote starter. Can you post a picture of the key fob? Can you contact the previous owner for the details? You probably want to know where the 'valet' button, remote start override, and 'brain' are.

97blazer1986
09-28-2007, 11:25 AM
valet button remote start override and brain. I am not sure what those are.
my key fob is set up where lock is on the left and unlock is on the right. There is an asterik in the middle (*) and the button is yellow. then below those buttons there is an "aux" button. The key fob is made by valet.

goser
09-28-2007, 12:29 PM
'ait, so you have a valet system by Directed Electronics. You should be able to download a manual from their website. The lock and unlock buttons are self explanitory. The yellow asterix is the remote start which you activate by pressing 1-5 times depending on how it was programmed. Aux might control the trunk release. Pressing combinations of buttons might do some funky things--best find a manual for those. There should be a toggle switch somewhere in the vehicle you can use to disable the remote start. The remote start should also stop if you: press the asterix button the required number of times again, open the hood, depress the brake pedal, or the vehicle is not in neutral. The brain is just the cpu of the alarm and good to know the location of. The valet switch will be a pushbutton somewhere in the vehicle which you can use to override the alarm if you lose your fob, put the vehicle into 'valet mode' (check manual), and program features.

97blazer1986
09-28-2007, 01:40 PM
alright thanks a lot goser

Add your comment to this topic!