Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fiero Wont Start 88 5spd V6

FBFieroGT88
09-27-2007, 12:19 AM
ok well i bought this 88 fiero gt. very nice car. i got a steal at 400.00 it had been sitting since 2003. thats when the inspection sticker expired anyway. so i took it and replaced a bunch of parts (rotors and pads on all 4 corners,all e-brake cables,e-brake cable connector and adjuster,plugs,cap,rotor,pick-up coil,ignition module,wires,coil pack) all new.i just wanted to go through everything so theres no problems in the very near future. i went to siphon the gas out cause it smelt like there was old gas...it was empty. so i poured premium gas in. tried starting it...and nothing. it kicks over with starting fluid. and runs for a sec then dies of course because of fuel starvation. i replaced the fuel filter...still nothing. i dont hear the pump running when i turn the key forward so im thinking its either a fuse or relay...or the pump at worst. was just curious where the relays or fuses are located?

Old Lar
09-27-2007, 07:57 AM
The fuse box is under the left side of the dash. Fuel pump fuse is a 10 amp fuse (#2) in the box.

FBFieroGT88
09-27-2007, 12:15 PM
i know where the FUSE box is. but im looking for the relays for the fuel pump. i know gm electric pumps USUALLY always have a relay. in the engine compartment.just where?

Old Lar
09-27-2007, 06:20 PM
As a backup system to the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump can also be turned on by the oil pressure switch.

The relays (V6) are located under the front hood left side along the fire wall. There are a pair of relays (#8064) mounted on a bracket. One is for the fuel pump, the other is for the AC (I think) . You can switch them as they are both the same. Page 132 of the Haynes manual for future reference.

FBFieroGT88
09-30-2007, 05:27 AM
after trying to switch the fuses,hot wire the pump and do everything else i could...i got fed up and just jacked the car up and dropped the tank. when i pulled the sending unit out...the fuel sock and the rod going to the floater...along with the pulsator was all covered in some real nasty stuff. the full tank i siphoned out was dark dark brown, the sock on the fuel pump was almost solid with the brown stuff...really really bad. i took 2 wires and hooked them to the pump then the other ends to a good battery(gf's) car and the pump did nothing. i changed the pump...drained the fuel and cleaned out the tank the best i could. the car fired right up (minus a few timing issues) i found why these v6 manifolds crack so easily lol the manifolds were glowing red. to i fixed the timing and they cooled off...lucky i cought that so i didnt kill my valves. but it runs like a champ...after sitting since 2003. no knocks no pings no sounds that a normal v6 would make...so everything is brand new. shes ready for the road...crossing my fingers i hope she has no problems...the ignition and fuel system is all new along with all the brakes and ebrakes and some other random things. im wondering how rare my car is...anyone know about this stuff?

i also found the 2 relays in the front on the (passenger side on the firewall under the hood) and the 2 relays located under the *REAR* hood or decklid..which ever u wanna call it. but they were behind the air filter housing.canister...remove that and their right there. next summer im debating on a 3.4tdc-turbo swap or a sbc400 turbo..will be very fun. i LOVE turbo cars.

Add your comment to this topic!