Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

slips out of reverse

Iron
09-26-2007, 05:57 PM
When i begin driving in reverse theres a grinding type noise and the accelerator works as if the transmission is in neutral, after another try or two it works fine. I can usually tell when its going to slip out by the weak feel of where reverse is, rather than the locked in feeling you normally get as the stick is where it should be. Is this a synchro problem or something more serious? (it seems to have gotten worse since the problem first arose)

abaird
09-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Well I would say a synchro problem would be about as serious as it gets for a manual tranny. T-56's are known for falling out of gear or hard shifting caused by worn out synchros. Mine falls out of reverse and sometimes when I downshift to second. Not alot that can be done other than a rebuild, I have just learned to deal with it because I have had a T-56 apart before and never want to see the insides of one again.

Earlsfat
09-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Well if it's grinding, you've got a ground reverse gear / pinion, and regardless of whether you put new synchros in you'll still have a problem.

I'm with abaird... get used to it. A rebuild is a pain in the ass.. and I only did a muncie. (Actually it's not that bad if you have the money, time, space and patience to do it. Getting all 4 of those together is the problem.)

Add your comment to this topic!