Page updated on 09-26-2017

97 blazer timing problem

wulfsbane
09-26-2007, 04:05 PM
my blazer wouldnt start unless I shot ether into my carb so i had it diagnosed at autozone it said it was either the injectors or the rotor cap or a vacume leak ...so I changed the rotor cap the rotor and the cam position sensor so it starts now but the check engine light comes on still now it reads campos sensor is bad or the timing is off when I drive it it gives me a jolt like it wants to shut down and itg shimmies when I am going slow I looked on the sticker under the hood and it says the timing is self adjusting are these problems just the computer trying to reset or am I looking at something else worse ????

82Stang
09-26-2007, 05:05 PM
If the computer is saying it needs a CPS, then I'd get one and go from there. There under $30 at Advance auto.

MT-2500
09-26-2007, 05:39 PM
What is the code no.?
If just the camshaft retard off it needs reset on a engine capable scanner.
Set it as close to -1 or plus +1 degree as you can get it or 0 if you can get it on 0 dergrees by turning dist.
The engine has to be speeded up over 1K rpm for the computer to pick up the new adjustment.

The actual timing is not adjustable.
Turning the dist sets the camshaft retard setting.
Or centers the dist rotor to fire dead on the plug wire terminal.

old_master
09-26-2007, 06:20 PM
If you need to give it starting fluid to get it running, the fuel pressure might be low, have you checked it?

Add your comment to this topic!