Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

KMX problems...smokin

Jonesy32
09-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi, I've got a 1993 kawasaki KMX which is smoking way too much. I am new to owning a bike and bought this bike cheap (mainly for green laning), but when I bought it there was no smoke coming from it. However, on reflection the bike had no 2 stroke oil in it. i have had it serviced and checked over and apparently they say the smoke is normal for a 2 stroke... but when cold I can hardly see the bike! Surely this can't be right? When hot the bike doesn't smoke until it has to go up hills. Any advice apart from taking it to the local scrap yard? Thanks

VR43000GT
09-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi, I've got a 1993 kawasaki KMX which is smoking way too much. I am new to owning a bike and bought this bike cheap (mainly for green laning), but when I bought it there was no smoke coming from it. However, on reflection the bike had no 2 stroke oil in it. i have had it serviced and checked over and apparently they say the smoke is normal for a 2 stroke... but when cold I can hardly see the bike! Surely this can't be right? When hot the bike doesn't smoke until it has to go up hills. Any advice apart from taking it to the local scrap yard? Thanks

First off, having no 2-cycle oil in it is a very bad thing and a good way to cease the motor up. Without oil, the piston is going to get hot and expand causing very bad problems. What are mixing the oil at? 40:1? 30:1? Generally when you start two-strokes up they have more smoke coming out then when they have sat and ran for a minute or two. They are not near as clean burning as a four-stroke so sometimes they need to clear out. Excess smoke could be caused from running rich. However, if you are running extremely rich I don't think the bike would even run and you would just have a fowled plug.

Jonesy32
10-02-2007, 02:47 PM
hi, thanks for the info. i have no idea about the oil ratio as i just fill up the seperate 2 stroke oil tank. I've got a manual and i've just had a look and it doesn't say...only covers the type of oil and the capacity of the tank. i guess there must be some way of altering the amount of oil going into the engine from the tank. Thanks again for your help.

VR43000GT
10-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Hmmm, I'm not an expert on those automatic mixing systems but from what I have heard they are generally made so that it runs at least a little rich to prevent any damage from running lean...ie: putting a hole though the piston.

BNaylor
10-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Funny a shop manual should cover the procedure. :dunno:

I agree be careful making any adjustment to the auto oil injection system. There should be a second cable coming off the throttle cable that goes into the side cover that has the injection pump. You can make adjustment via the cable adjuster if it has one. Basically Kawasaki oil pump systems run the engine on a 20:1 mixture ratio at 2000 RPM while holding pump control lever wide open for approximately three minutes. The pump must be set so the wider you open the throttle, the more oil is pumped. There should be visible markers. For example on Yamaha pumps, you aline the pin and dot. For Mikuni systems which may be on Kawasakis you align the two lines.

If the system is injecting the right amount of oil and there is still smoking you may have bad crank seals or even worn out piston rings.

alex_york_1973@yah
02-02-2008, 12:52 PM
check the o-ring seals in the carb.had same problem on fresh cr 250.

alex_york_1973@yah
02-02-2008, 12:59 PM
sorry but i forgot to mention that it's the o-ring seals on the choke circuit.i'm like sl iv'e never dealt with the auto injection but iv'e heard alot of bad comments on them.can't you just plug the hoses and just mix the fuel yourself?i would also reccomend doing a compression test and checking the crankcase seals.

Add your comment to this topic!