tire shine = damage???

gw84
09-25-2007, 02:02 PM
I took the car into the shop to have the tires rotated a while back. Guy asked if I used tire shine on the tires, which I do frequently to keep the new/black look:grinyes: . He informed me that tire shine products actually damage the tires because they pull the oils from inside the tires to the outside, giving the shiny/black look. He said that this could lead to premature tire wear, blowouts, etc. Seems like he could be correct because I've noticed that if I stop using tire shine products the tires look worse than had I not ever used them (they are more brown than black). Is there any truth to his statement? Either way I'm going to continue using tire shines simply because it keeps them looking better!! Plus, I purchased the "road hazard" protection plan with my tires which covers blowouts, etc...haha

Jim D.
09-26-2007, 12:50 AM
He's mistaken.

So long as it's not a "petroleum-based" product you're using, you're fine.

Most quality brands would be water-based (does not say "Contains petroleum distillates" on the warning label).

One thing to be aware of... tires have a natural preservative which works its way through the rubber during use. Tire dressings tend to lock it in, so when the dressing wears out, you'll tend to see a bloom of brown. Annoying, but to be expected, and not necessarily a sign of something bad happening.

gw84
09-26-2007, 09:12 AM
great! plus it seems like if you just keep the shine on there you wouldn't have to worry about any brown showing thru:)

SUBURBANITE01
02-29-2008, 09:17 AM
There has been a lot of comments about this for years and years, Can't tell what is truth or not but I have been using tire products since early 70's and have never had a tire issue that I am aware of.

'97ventureowner
02-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Please check the date of the last post in the thread and try to avoid posting in it if it is longer than 3 months.
Closed.

Add your comment to this topic!