Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Low fuel and check gauges light stuck on

dtoolman
09-25-2007, 11:03 AM
I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1 160,000miles. I have a low fuel light comming on, but plenty of fuel. It also causes the check gauges light to come on and stay on as well. I have been told by Pontiac that the problem is the panel/gauge cluster, and to replace it. Last time I checked it the cost was around $500, and can't find one in a salvage yard. All I want to do is "disable" it. I know that on this car when the low coolant light comes on all you have to do to get it to turn off is to unplug the sensor on the radiator. Is there a sensor I can disconnect, or a wire I can cut, to get the "Low Fuel" light to go off? This light is driving me mad,and I don't need it. Thanks

richtazz
09-25-2007, 01:13 PM
About all you can do is remove the bulb for it from the cluster.

JonJon68
09-25-2007, 08:41 PM
I second what Rich advised. I used to own a 91 GP 3.1 SE and I was able to get behind the cluster and terminate the check gauge light that was always on because of a bad cluster. If I remember correctly, I used some needle nose pliars and crushed it and it felt good! :evillol:

dtoolman
09-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys. I had thought of that but then I'd have to remove the cluster. Oh well if that's the only way I'll do it. I was afraid the solution was going to be removing the fuel tank and snipping a wire. I like your solution better (and much easier too) Thanks, again.

Add your comment to this topic!