Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starting problems

co5j
09-25-2007, 08:11 AM
93 sonata, been around this car fior a year, 150K+ miles. fiancee recently gave it to my 16 year old daughter as first car. has had random starting issues where when turning key to start, there is nothing. no cranking, absolutely nothing. has done this VERY randomly. after 3-4 tries, it always starts as normally. fiancee said ignition switch was replaced a couple years ago, not sure why. regardless, daughter left lights on at school the other day, drained battery. i have charged it, and attempted jumping, but it is same symptoms as before, absolutely NOTHING, no starter cranking, all the lights and everything work, i hear a click coming from passenger kickpanel? when key goes to start position, but thats ALL. cheked fuses inside car and relays by battery. only fusible links on battery cable are for alt and fan. is there another somewhere? ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated. car is stuck at the high school for 5 days now, until i can get it started or pull it home to work on it easier.

daveinvictoria
12-30-2007, 09:53 AM
I realize your thread on this site is ancient and I've never used a forum before but the problem you had with your 93 Sonata not starting is exactly what I am going through right now. I've tried two new starters and have replaced the starter relay under the pass. side kick panel and still nothing. Had a mechanic look at it also and he's baffled.
What did you find the problem to be? After three years I'm sure you have it fixed. MY car has been sitting for six days now but at least it is home in my garage

Any hint would be appreciated

Dave

Add your comment to this topic!