Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SUVs to compete with blazer?

Iron
09-24-2007, 08:39 PM
I am looking for a 4x4 for the winter and I am looking at a blazer zr2, im just wondering if anyone has suggestions for trucks/SUVs in the same price range that theyd recommend of the blazer.

sickcallawayc12
09-24-2007, 11:34 PM
What is the price range? What year ZR2? I will assume a max of 6500 bucks and you have options here within that range that will get the job done and then some. If I didn't get a Blazer, I probably would have gotten a Pathfinder or QX4 as I believe it is prone to fewer problems at the cost of a little less power. They are more on-road friendly SUVs though as I believe the newer ones used a unibody and they ride really nice. Especially the QX4 cuz i've been in a few of them as well as the Pathfinder. Very smooth on the road. Plus the QX4 has full time AWD versus part time for the Pathfinder and part time for the majority of your choices (except Explorer).

Blazer is straight truck though and engine is built primarily for torque (250 lb ft. for 4.3). Explorer is a much better comparison with the Blazer in terms of potential problems and maintenence/ ownership costs. Explorer gives you much, much more options though for engine, features, and 4wd type. Both are similar in ride, but Explorer probably is a little better.

Durangos with a few miles on them fall in that range also, more power with a V8 and worse gas mileage than the V6 competition and questionable reliability IMO. Jeep Grand Cherokees have many issues and aren't worth the money IMO. If I got any Jeep, it would be a Wrangler.

However, I believe the Blazer is the best bet. Yes they have their issues, but has good power overall, great in snow, great for off-road, decent gas mileage figures for a "trucklike SUV", good on-road manners for a "trucklike SUV", and long-lasting engines. Proper maintenence is key for any 4x4 SUV let alone a Blazer since there are more parts to worry about and it will cost more cash than many cars a lot of the time. I really haven't had any major issues with mine in the year and few months i've owned it though. Very sturdy trucks.

Iron
09-25-2007, 10:06 AM
right on, thanks for the input :)

Andydg
09-26-2007, 11:50 AM
I highly recommend the Jeep Cherokee. They're very reliable, my friend has 2 with over 200,000 miles and they're both still driven daily, they're great in the snow, and there's a huge after market for them if that's your thing.

Add your comment to this topic!