Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 talon TSI over heating

Devildust21
09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
ok, so here is my problem, my 1995 awd tsi talon keeps over heating, i have replace the following :thermostat, temp sending unit, fan coolant switch the main things i have added, and the fans start going only when the heat of the engine is red... any ideas on what is wrong? and im getting frow from the water pump:banghead:

TalonEclipseMixGsx
09-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Ok, so do you overheat only in traffic at idle? Only when driving on the interstate? Do you have a FMIC which could be blocking the airflow to the radiator? Have you flushed the radiator? Do you have a data logger or gauge of some sort that tells you exactly what temperature you are running at? There are so many things that it could be it's hard to pin point. My fans turn on once the temperature hits 205 degrees. Have you done any checks on the coolant temp sensor? First make sure that the vehicle is actually overheating and not just a messed up gauge or sensor. Lastly, when you are testing don't let the temp gauge get all the way up to the red. If it gets to 3/4 on the gauge and its still climbing, shut it off and let it cool down. If it really is overheating that badly, this could lead to a blown or leaking head gasket and/or a warped cylinder head which will also cause overheating. Once you figure that out then move on to the actual trouble shooting. Believe me, I know how frustrating it can be to run hot.

Devildust21
09-24-2007, 11:35 PM
ok, so i was talking to my nephew who is a mechanic and he said that if it was really over heating i would be able to hear the coolant boiling and i never have, or never have seen it boil out.. so could it be a faulty guage?

TalonEclipseMixGsx
09-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Its possible it may be a faulty gauge but I couldn't say for sure. Might want to get an after market gauge to put on there. They are more accurate anyway than the stock POS. Either that or get a data logger, which should show you what the computer is reading. Other than that I would try a resistance test on the coolant temp sensor. I'm not sure of the exact specs for it but I'm sure with a chiltons manual, or a little bit of searching you could find it.

Add your comment to this topic!