Page updated on 11-23-2017

1997 Jimmy Transmission Leak

mjtr21
09-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Well I have a 97 Jimmy Automatic Transmission and 4-Wheel Drive. I noticed over a year ago that my transmission fluid was disappearing. I would have to add fluid maybe twice a year. Then the other day as I was experimenting, I decided to see if my transfer case was holding all my transmission fluid that vanished. So I took out the upper plug off the Transfer case and what do you know, there comes all that fluid draning out. So at least I know where all the fluid was going because I couldnt see any outside leaks. So what kind of seal/gasket needs to be replaced? Would it be an expensive job and would it better to be brought to an experienced transmission mechanic? Please help I would like to stop adding fluid and draining it back out... Please and Thanks in advance.

MT-2500
09-25-2007, 07:05 PM
To replace the seal/seals you have to remove the transfer case.
Seals are not expensive if you do the labor yourself.
MT

mjtr21
09-25-2007, 10:33 PM
yes but could you please answer my questions? i dont know the name of the seal and i was also wondering how long it would take. please and thank you agaib.

MT-2500
09-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Front input seal.
Factory flate rate time is 2 hrs to R&R transfer case.
Regular shop time is 2.5 to 3 hrs.
But may take a DIY longer if a first first time job.
Depending on your tools and how good and fast you are.
A repair shop will give you a estimate for the repair.
MT

mjtr21
09-26-2007, 11:55 PM
okay thanks that what i wanted to know. so let me get this straight, the back end of the transmission is attached to the front end of the transfer case right? and the seal between where theyre attached is whats leaking? i will get underneath the truck again tomrorow and look to see. what kind of work do they have to do? do they have to remove the transfer case to get to it? thanks for your help.

Add your comment to this topic!