Page updated on 09-26-2017

Rear Main Seal

GirlBear
09-23-2007, 08:52 AM
I never thought 3 four letter words would be so significant in my life. Leaking oil like a champ. right down on to my exhaust. Non stop. Like James Bond I have a huge smoke screen. It took awhile to figure out what it was. So at this point i just wanna know if any body here has done it? I've heard i could either remove the engine. or jack up the body from the frame. How ever it has to be done. Cause at this point I refuse to part with my Blazer. And I do all my own work. I did have a Half ass Mech do my fuel pump this summer. And It was a huge Mistake. So any way if any one has any info. Id be much grateful. thanks in advance. Oh and its a 96 Blazer 144k+. Ive replaced just about every thing on the engine in the past 1.5 years.

MT-2500
09-23-2007, 09:46 AM
First thing make double sure it is the rear main seal.
Leaks on upper part of engine or in the oil filter adapter area or even oil pan gasket can look like rear main leaks.
I would run a dye test on it to help aid in pin pointing the leak.

If it is the rear main seal it is a big old tough job.
You will have to.
Pull engine or transmission to do it.
MT

GirlBear
09-24-2007, 03:42 AM
And with my current oil leak and the oil running onto the exhaust. Is there a possibility of any fire? cause I'm scarred to drive it. 2 weeks ago it caught on fire but i think it was a loose wire shield that was hanging next to the manifold.

MT-2500
09-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Yes it could.
Where there is smoke there can be a fire.
But you main problem could be running low on oil.
MT

GirlBear
09-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Well im gonna try to finda way to divert the leaking oil away from the exhaust if i can. until i can really put some time aside to actually fix the main problem. i try 2 keep the oil in it as much as i can. its no longer a daily driver of course. its more of a grocery getter. its a sad state of affairs now. lol

534BC
09-25-2007, 03:30 PM
You might try removing the cap or some other part of the crankcase venting just to be sure it still leaks. If by chance the breather/venting system is faulty it may be making the rear seal leak. Kinda long shot, but I'd sure hate to r&r a rear main and then figure out the new one leaks as well.

GirlBear
09-27-2007, 04:14 PM
You might try removing the cap or some other part of the crankcase venting just to be sure it still leaks. If by chance the breather/venting system is faulty it may be making the rear seal leak. Kinda long shot, but I'd sure hate to r&r a rear main and then figure out the new one leaks as well.
ill try anything at this point. thanks man!!

Add your comment to this topic!